1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What next?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simple, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Silvershine

Silvershine Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Danny Silvershine
    Not sure how to respond exactly, but I truly miss the people I worked with on the staff team. I miss the roleplay and life lessons learned throughout my time here. Consider me all in for reopening!

• Like Like x 5
  2. George

George Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Han Conway
    dw I'll be your partner at the PD again! :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aluminum

Aluminum Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    June Wright
    Reopen the server with a few small adjustments then go from there. If the server is being a burden on you, appoint trusted members of the community to do development/community management for you. A bunch of members that have been around for an extremely long time are offering their help, you just have to be willing to give everyone the permissions they need to run the server for you.

I'd be willing to help in any way I can to keep the community alive.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Bender

Bender Member

Holy shit chronet is still.. (well kind of) around? I remember playing a loooong time ago.

As a current server owner, if it's a burden to your life let it go or let someone else take over. It's not worth the hassle and the stress, real life is more important than this video game every time.

5. Blofart

Blofart Member

Roleplay name:
    Philip McKrackin
    ok hear me now... Get the past server up... b4 that shit mode that killed it.. Get some staff the good ones that know where the money pipe is. Enforce decent rules ! Build the Future in 3 months. Get premium up, have events... and most important have fun..

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  6. xxWallaWalla222xx

xxWallaWalla222xx Member

Roleplay name:
    Robert Sulliven
    I have been waiting for this day. Not only is getting the server back up and running a good thing, it is also something that can play a crucial role in generating new ideas and community members for the (slowly coming) updates. Can not wait to get back on and if anybody needs anything, let me know and I will do my best to help this wonderful community.

Best Wishes :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. AngryBaldMan

AngryBaldMan Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    As others have additionally offered their help, I will also offer mine as well. The reason I kind of left is because I felt almost as if you yourself ( @Simple )had completely given up, and myself being there as well as the other people that were brought on to the project was kind of just to bring hope to the community and nothing more than that. But if you are saying that you are actually willing to allocate a decent amount of time towards a revival of the community, I think I can speak for the other Community Managers that were hired in the original effort of bringing back Chronet, we'd be happy to lend a hand in helping out.

I will admit I, personally, dropped out a little too early and didn't try enough to get you to allocate us the resources required for reviving the community. But the ideas the CM team brought to the table, and my personal development plans had a lot of community members interested, it's just the resources weren't there to make those goals happen as promised.

TL;DR If you're serious and ready to allocate more resources. I think many of us that quit in the mists of your inactivity after the revival attempt, including myself can help out again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  8. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    How are you gonna dev 2 nitoria servers and chronet at the same time, it would be awesome to see you come back and dev but it seems like you got a full plate, also another question is if simple gives you back CM how are you going to be able to manage, and dev for 3 servers all at once?
    I would love to see you come back and implement your ideas tho

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Canadian-bacon

Canadian-bacon Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    He'd probably take more of a supportive Dev role.

10. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Retired Staff Member

Seeing the large amount of interest generated from a simple short email, it's obvious that many people are interested in the development and continuation of the community.

One of the main things about Chronet that was always the reason I played here back in the day versus other communities was the minimum amount of bullshit kept in the gamemode. It was about RP and the different elements of the community itself that kept that interesting.

Now the reason I'm posting here is because I'm interested myself in helping out with the server, strictly in a development and design sense (I'd plan to play on it too, of course). I'm not here because I'm interested in GMod, or other communities, I'm here because it's Chronet. I'll be honest I haven't even touched GMod except a little bit since like 2016, even then it was just to code random addons in sandbox for fun.

Now, there's a big "if" here I'm going to point out, and this probably goes for a lot of people. Simple has always had a reluctance to actually give literally anyone access to any core parts of the server, gamemode, lua folders, addons, etc. There have been issues in the past with server management, where no one but simple had access to the server box's functions, including being able to update or restart the server so anyone could play. And lastly there have been management issues. Rampant admin abuse, where, again, only Simple had permissions to change who had admin permissions on the server, even though at the time we had a "Head Admin" he could not demote or promote anyone. It took weeks to get the issue resolved and it could have been handled much better.

I'm going to be upfront about a couple things....
    First, I think the Lua that exists on the server is likely in very poor shape. The server has always run poorly due to piles of unoptimized code, and frankly not a lot of developers for GMod even know how to properly optimize their code in the first place. I can remember a particular instance of the server running at something like 40 FPS at best for most players, and by editing a single client Lua file and convincing Simple to update the server with it, suddenly everyone was getting upwords of 70-80 FPS. That was just one file... I hate to image what other demons lie under the addons or gamemode folders. This simply is unacceptable, especially when at the time I offered to fix this shit and got turned down. Simple gave me the option to rewrite the entire core server from scratch and he would use it... but it's just simply not feasible. That's not how development works. You need a testing environment, testers, and time, and I wasn't even convinced he would use anything I made anyway.

Second, the choices made in the past to neglect certain "gamey" aspects of the roleplay server have always made me a little sad. Avoiding changing systems to prevent people from abusing the inventory system and doing stupid shit like hoarding thousands of rifles in their bank simply stagnated the gameplay market. Allowing people to make huge groups which steamroll other player's bases with minimal effort, as well as making this issue worse by allowing admins who were very much not impartial to these groups to sit around and defend them while they abused the server for their own use. The lack of a proper money sink that actually felt like an accomplishment to keep players interested... all of these things drive people away. You need a good team of people in place to avoid these kind of issues and make a group, democratic decision on issues like these.

Besides all of this, there are a lot of dedicated people here who would be willing to push this server forward, kicking and screaming even, into tomorrow so they can get back some of that nostalgia they had before. That's why I'm suggesting this plan of action:
    1. Get a team of people willing to make group, democratic decisions about the server's future, and design choices. Let the group find out who would be best for what roles and give them the tools to do so, which leads to the next point...
    2. Have these people make a plan for the long term of the server. Define goals, confer with developers and make sure your ideas are actually feasible. Design the system around long-term gameplay that keeps players interested instead of short-term benefits.
    3. Get a server up, then work towards changing it to be something unique. Design and develop systems which are tested then rolled out on a bi-monthly or monthly basis. Don't just push updates to the server haphazardly, and be prepared to do roll-backs if issues arise.
    4. Don't be afraid to completely change how critical gameplay/gamemode systems work for a more efficient, streamlined experience. Users and creativity should not suffer from gamemode limitations... but at the same time you must listen to your developer(s) and focus on what is feasible and can be developed in a timely manner. Don't chase after ambitious projects that can take months until your core gameplay loop is satisfied.

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    This is everything I wanted since the "merge" with Nitoria, unfortunately that didn't really happen.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Canadian-bacon

Canadian-bacon Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    Yea, i mean, yea.

Simple doesn't want to release the core game without something to protect his intellectual property.

I think he needs to honestly get over that aspect and just choose the right people to trust.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. AngryBaldMan

AngryBaldMan Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    I'm in the mists of developing one other server, the other one would simply be canceled. I'm very used to having a full plate, I do a lot of development projects outside of GMod and LUA as a whole, as well as many-many projects regarding GMod. So I'd be fine really.

Ya, as @Kai said, this is what we hoped to accomplish with that "merge". But that didn't really happen due to a long stagnation of what permissions will be granted to who (gamemode wise).

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  14. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    aight I like it

15. xxWallaWalla222xx

xxWallaWalla222xx Member

Roleplay name:
    Robert Sulliven
    Great ideas here. Think of it as starting a business. A team and a agenda of some sort if needed, then you need to initiate the plan and have people try it out. Pump our trials and updates more and more to draw in more and more people. This is defiantly something that must be done, and something that is rather simple to do as well.

16. Vhondy

Vhondy Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Matt Czosnyka
    You have a lot of people eager and willing to help simple I hope you make the right choice for all of our sake

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. WoLF[James]

WoLF[James] Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    James Fjordson
    I look back at the forums every now and then and get my hopes up on Chronet every time I see an apology post like this one. Yet you've abandoned Chronet countless amount of times. You've never gone on and done what you actually wrote and I can't say it could be different this time. I like Chronet and hate to see it die like it is at the moment so please stick with reviving Chronet and don't abandon it again and write another apology. Good luck

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Defiler

Defiler Member

plz re open chronet m'lord

19. Angel but also Devil

Angel but also Devil Retired Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Angel Delrose
    As much as I made an ass of myself in this community, I would love for Chronet to re open.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    I think what you said was dumb but I agree compadre