1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What next?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simple, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Simple

Simple Founder

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Hi everyone.

So it's been a few months now since you've heard any official word from me. So let me update you on a few things. At this point, there's no point not being 100% honest and transparent with you, so I'm not going to sugar coat things or 'beat around the bush'.

My business, social and spiritual life occupy a lot of my time, most of my days are spent doing work and activities that I enjoy it. I travel a decent amount and am not often in front of my computer these days. I don't have huge amounts of free time to work on another project such as Chronet, and it's not something that I see myself dedicating a lot of time to at the moment. As much as I want another person to step in and help with coding and management, that hasn't happened yet and I'm not sure when it will.

Where does that leave Chronet?
    Well, I think it's up to the community in a way. There are obviously always different ways forward and options available. Let's discuss what some of these options are.
    Currently we have the choice of letting Chronet stay like it is, with the website staying up and Chronet being in a state of limbo. And one day possibly getting the right person for the job and helping jump start it again.
    Another option is for the server to open again, with one or two adjustments, and go from there. I can't guarantee that there will be updates, but I'll most likely be able to squeeze in some additions and changes every now and then (more likely I can edit and add some GMod Store scripts and other addons that community members code). I can possibly make a small wiki sort of thing, so that members of the community can help add new items or recipes, so that content is at least added. Another options is to potentially hire an external developer to code things, without touching the core of the gamemode. Funding from the community is possibly an option in order to do this, as I don't have personal money to spend on this.
    Another option is to just shut down the website and server.

I know there are a decent amount of people out there that still want the community and server to live on. And I respect and admire your dedication to Chronet. I believe that there is still a place for the server in the GMod community and I think opening the server again would be a good option, even if it is basically the same as it was. I think doing this would at least open some new doors of opportunity and maybe something will happen in the future.
    It will also be important to have a good, reliable, loyal, and dedicated staff team. This will come down to you, the community, to pick out and select your community representatives and admins. I'm willing to hand over more 'permissions' and power to the staff, such as the ability to do forum moderation as well as server control (restarting, etc). I must once again state, I will not be handing over access to any developer to touch the core code, unless I personally know them and/or can trust them fully.

I hope a mature and respectful discussion can take place surrounding the future of Chronet, and I appreciate those who are still here. You're awesome :)

Thanks for all your support and loyalty over the years.

Kind regards,
    Simple

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Old Old x 1
  2. Young Meme

Young Meme Member

Roleplay name:
    Jefe Thuxarde
    my name jeff

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. AZIN 2

AZIN 2 Member

Roleplay name:
    Faith Moore
    ----Snip Snip----

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. One Million Ducks

One Million Ducks Retired Staff Member

I am assuming this is a vote, so I am gonna go ahead and tack in for...
    If your free time for the server is limited, I say let's go where we left off and build from there.

• Agree Agree x 11
  5. Finally

Finally Well-Known Member

Well, If you're being serious like you say, you've had opportunities through a few trustworthy individuals that you pretty much let fall through. Re-opening the server with a few adjustments would be wise. In all honesty though I am not sure anyone has enough confidence in the community for Chronet to get another competent dev unless someone like @Kai (and only if he would be willing at this point) was given free reign to do as he sees fit, Which I would support fully. Still, I am not sure if long time members would return.

• Agree Agree x 8
  6. Clorox Bleach

Clorox Bleach Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
    re open it why not

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    Honestly, if this is such a hassle just let it all go.

Move on with your life. I don't mean that in a rude way or anything, but it's obvious you dont wanna really put in too much effort. Which I can completely understand.

But don't lead on if there's no real destination.

It's like a relationship.
    If you don't like the person, don't lead them on like you do.

I am not sure what went down with you and your other Devs(or people who were gonna be Devs), but you did have a Development Team not that long ago.
    You could always just look in othet places and not just say you'll eventually hire someone(I know I phrased it weird but give me a break pls).

None of us can really decide this for you. It is nice that you are asking for Community input(even though most of it dislikes you), but ultimately it is your choice.

You may have realized that you have taken lead, or you haven't yet. Feels like you haven't.
    This is why CN has been going around and around in a stagnating circle.

If you really want to see your baby come back, you gotta accept the reins or pass them to someone willing and actually capable. Not the person who's the most popular with the community, not the one with the most posts, most eloquent speech or best reputation.

And I get you being hesitant to share any of this. I myself have seen replacement Owners go batshit insane after being handed the torch, and then using that torch to burn the community into ash.

But there is a point. A brink.
    Chronet passed that by years ago.

I don't think you can, or should, bring it back.

Just let it go.

• Disagree x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. Jack Traid

Jack Traid Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Jack Traid
    tl;dr contains key info. The rest is an explanation

Without sugar coating anything, (As honesty is what's needed here) a large amount of the community has jumped ship. Most from GMod altogether. (As is to be expected) It should also be worth noting that a lack of new content is what initially caused some players to drop out. To give a game industry example, an MMO that does not receive some sort of minor content update every two months or so tends to get repetitive and boring. Granted CN allows for RolePlay, but that is almost seen as a great rarity. (Speaking from the perspective of someone before the popularity dropped down to approximate 30 players at peak)

Unless something new comes up and the community shows interest in it again I don't see a large playerbase returning. For most of us it was the community, or rather, select members from within the community that made CN what it was, and for most players it is a case of only joining if a select list of friends have already mutually agreed that they would like to return. That last line sprouted from a discussion or two in discord servers, and the voice chat was silent before one or two said "No" and the rest followed with things that ran along of the lines of "We see eye to eye" or "Thanks for saying what we were all thinking".

Another thing would be that I have been talking to people who check the forums regularly, when I asked "Why?" I was greeted by the response "To see if it's officially dead yet."

While I would like to point out that there are still people here who would like to see the server back up (Before someone quotes me bringing that point up.) it would be worth noting that not all people who are lurking on the forums have any interest in seeing the server brought back up.

With all that being said I can get down to the bottom lines.
    TL;DR
    Bringing up the old server may not grab a lot of players back.
    Not all of the players who currently use the forums want to play the server at all.
    Even some of the players in the "Save Chronet 2018" steam group have joined it ironically.
    (Yes, I can say that's true, as some people in it told me that's why they joined it)
    New content from some kind of developer is the best chance at the server surviving (And even then, there's no guarantee it will)

Garry's Mod is dying out as well. (Or so it seems)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    Please reopen the server, but with only one request. please add playtime hats back :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    also before i forget

add dumb rating clearly it'll bring back everybody

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Finally

Finally Well-Known Member

pls bring back yes

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. James Gambino

James Gambino Active Member

I'd like to return to Rockford map and have a different staff team. I'm willing to apply to help the future Community Manager. The truth is, there is no server like Chronet and it has so much potential. Return the old map, just like it was before Baldman took it over and you'll see the Gambino Family return on this server.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Medic

Medic Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    Honestly, I think gmod as a whole has kinda turned into a joke which is why I think people aren’t playing it altogether much anymore. Even if the numbers say otherwise, there’s a lot of people from this community who stopped playing altogether because this server was the only reason, such as myself. I’ve stayed in contact with Simple occasionally, in hopes we could at least bring it back or try to revive it just for the sake of getting everyone back together. I’ve pretty much quit playing my PC and mostly do music production now because there’s nothing I like playing, I’m picky af. Without getting side tracked, I think if we can spread the word to old members to get some hype going, some suggestions, and some constructive input on where it should go IF we reopen, we could maybe get something going again.

In terms of devs, ever since Chronet spiraled, I’ve only seen contracts and $$$ every place I went. It ain’t even about the game anymore, it’s people trying to make a living, and in return the servers are ass with management. Content is great, overall management is ass and they have no idea what’s going on because they don’t care about the server at the end of the day. In terms of dev, I think it would be hard to find one that’s trustworthy and dedicated. Like I said, it’s not about hobby and enjoying the game, and all about $$$. The minute the server is ran like a business, I won’t pay into it nor spend a ton of time because it shows.

If we can get people to come back, iron out some people for staff, iron out some plans, I think it’ll be worth reopening. So go tell anyone you know who used to play if you want Chronet to still be a thing of some kind, every person that comes back I’m sure will count at this point.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JB1701

JB1701 Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Cole Ronson
    I am not gonna lie. Do that is best and what can happen? Right now we are against a wall. Do whatever at this point and go from there. @One Million Ducks You are completely right. Lets start building. We have everything down we just gotta repair. I know I am not the best player, or I have the best history but I will help just dont let us down. If you need anything you know where to contact me at,

15. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    I like this one boss
    --- Post updated ---
    this nigga finally is smart
    --- Post updated ---
    open up community again as I said above, get premium money, get a dev.... that simple

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Simple

Simple Founder

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Thanks for all your kind words and mature conversation so far, really gives me motivation to do things again. When people are negative and just complain about everything, I often just feel like giving up and closing Chronet down for good. But when loyal and friendly people who still show that they have hope and are willing to part of the solution, not the problem, I too have hope and excitement to start over and get things up and running again :]

• Like Like x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Medic

Medic Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    I'm trying to round people up as we speak. People seem motivated so far, lets do it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    how long do you think its gonna take to get the server up and running with a few changes

19. Simple

Simple Founder

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Definitely learnt not to give dates or ETAs through this journey, so I won’t give s date. But I’ll definitely be dedicating some time to work on Chronet again if we keep up the good vibes and do this together.

• Like Like x 6
  20. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    good lol
    I hope you keep your word, I dedicated 4 weeks to my life to chronet (some people even more) and im sure we would all love to see chronet come back.... I just have one request.... if ur gonna add a dev or some content ask the community what they think.... The only reason why that "downtown server" was a flop was because it had content that the community didnt want nor liked (M9k weapon pack, semi serious rules, etc.)

• Agree Agree x 1