1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please do not post threads relating to our roleplay server here! You can post RP related things here!
    Dismiss Notice

The implications of "racist" remarks.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iDabbbz, Feb 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

Now I was recently banned for 2 weeks, and I fully accept the terms and reasons of said ban, except for the citing of "racism" in my ban. I have a very strong belief that the word, the word itself, holds no weight. I believe it is in the connotation of said word, that inherently hold weight. Furthermore, the "N Word" is not racist. When I said "You are a n**ger", I did not find that racist. Now if I said "You are an uneducated n**ger who should have been kept in slavery", that is incredibly racist and demeaning. We live in such an age where "(insert any ethnic group other than Caucasian) can't be racist, only whites can!" that people don't see the racism being perpetrated against the "privileged" and "upper-class" whites. There is absolutely no denying that I broke the rules regarding flaming in OOC, and there is no denying that I broke the rule regarding use of a racial slur, regardless of intention(Is that a new rule? If it is a rule been there for ages I must've skipped over it). I'm not trying to dispute my charges(I had a little too much to drink that night anyway, and thought I would trigger some liberals), but there is a little hypocrisy in the fact that, if I were to call a white "cracker" or "cream skin", (aljuld karim in Arabic), I guarantee you people wouldn't bat an eye, because as we all know, "reverse racism" and "racism against whites" isn't a thing!(even though the words do have history in racially oppressing whites) I did not post this to garner support or to dispute a ban, yet rather to gather information on how people truly think regarding this issue of "perpetuated racism". Please keep it civil in responses, I just want to see what people really think about the, not-at-all complicated matter of racism, and what people believe about racism due to their corrupt, spoon-fed forms of media. Again, I am NOT trying to dispute my charges, this is simply a social survey, if you will.
    ------Thanks for reading
    ---------iDabbbz aka Milo Yiannopoulos

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    do not slander milo's name.

You may not hold the word to any value, but if it is against the rules this point is made invalid.
    You may speak your mind in private with whatever words you wish, but here, there are limits.

3. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

Of course their are limits, I said repeatedly I was not denying there were limits. I made no attempt to dispute my charges. This was simply an attempt to gather information about how people truly feel. Is admitting you broke a rule, taking full responsibility for it, yet disagreeing with said rule against the rules as well?

4. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    It is not.

I was clarifying the standard that Chronet currently upholds.

5. Mojache

Mojache Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Tanner Kingston
    This guy says, "Nigger" is not racist? Is that a joke? The definition of "Nigger" is, (a contemptuous term for a black or dark-skinned person). Now, if you also do not know what contemptuous it means, (showing contempt; scornful). So really, "Nigger" is racist as fuck. Also, keep in mind what "Nigger" is in history and how it was used solely to be said to black slaves to make them not feel human. Now, what I agree with most of everyone else, "Nigga" is not racist. I have had MANY black friends from different parts of the country say nigga is not racist, but never ever say, "Nigger". Thats being a bad boy. It is one of those words you never say.

6. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

Do you consider cracker a racist term? Like, for instance, if I called someone a cracker, would you be up in arms about it? I guarantee that no one would. "Oh, but cracker, isn't a real racial slur! The whites just made it up to give credence to their own racism!" give me a break. It even states the definition of the slur as "derogatory" instead of racist. Can you imagine what would happen if I said that "Nigger" was just a derogatory term and not "inherently racist"? I would be burned at the stake for "perpetuating racism" when in reality I would be trying to end racism and strip the word of its power. I have black friends that agree that when we hold "Nigger" to such a high and "unspeakable" standard, it gives it more power. But who knows, that may just be the logical conservative in them showing. :)

7. Mojache

Mojache Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Tanner Kingston
    Cracker was given to us by the black slaves. They would refer to us as Crackers because we would crack the whips...

8. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

Actually, it was used as early as 1783 to describe men who "are descended from convicts that were transported from Great Britain to Virginia at different times, and inherit so much profligacy from their ancestors, that they are the most abandoned set of men on earth" -Anthony Stokes. As for black slaves calling the white slave owners "crackers", that did not occur until the era of the Antebellum South, which is generally perceived to start in late 1812, yet some historians think that it started around the birth of the country in 1789, still 6 years earlier than the aforementioned definition was used. When I said, "Oh, but cracker, isn't a real racial slur! The whites just made it up to give credence to their own racism!", I was parodying the people who actually believe that, with their little to no knowledge of ethic slang.

9. chancetr98

chancetr98 Member

Roleplay name:
    Philip Jackson
    There is a difference between nigga and hard R n**ger. With the ladder holding undeniable racist weight. While I would agree with you that the word shouldn't hold any weight, it does and we have to acknowledge and understand that.

10. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

Absolutely not. The word is held to a high standard by "Social Justice Warriors" and "Black American Activists", but, when you really look at it, if people stopped holding it to that high of a standard, it would go away. Have you ever heard of the strategy to make fun of yourself enough, so that something embarrassing about you has no weight anymore? Same goes with the word. So many black sociologists agree with the simple, underlying truth, that if we take the power out of the word and belittle the connotation of it, it can't hurt anyone anymore.

11. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    N**ger is racist. N**ga can be racist. Cracker can be racist. End of story.
    We can not take the power out of the word because 7 billion people know the meaning of it. Unless you can get all 7 billion to ignore the word than its impossible. I am against all types of racism and unlike what most modern day media tells you, all races can be racist and you can be racist against white people.
    The word is not just held to a high standard by just those 2. It will offend most black individuals you come across. The word is held to such a high standard because of how awful its origins are. The word has held its meaning for over 100 years and that will not change anytime soon. Neither will the Chronet rules.

12. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

I actually agree with you somewhat. Those words all CAN be racist. However, I do not see them as inherently racist, meaning, I do not think the word itself has a racial derogation to it. But you have had the most logical response I've seen so far. A+.

13. Christ

Christ Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Damian Wright
    [​IMG]

14. Aluminum

Aluminum Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Carmen Sandiego
    You saying that calling someone a "nigger" is not racist is ridiculous. I do agree with this some what,
    but Chronet administration will continue to give punishment for use of this word. The word is still racist in our society.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  15. Deaconator

Deaconator Trial Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Rachel Conway
    i'm not really sure what you want here
    you want people to change the english language because you for some odd reason don't view nigger as a racial slur even though that's literally the universally accepted definition?
    just don't say nigger?

also blaming sjw's is stupid since the word's been viewed as racist before the internet appeared

16. SCORPEANrtd

SCORPEANrtd Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Holy shit, Deaconator making a quality post? But yeah, pretty much.

17. iDabbbz

iDabbbz Member

I fully respect the punishment, and I knew most people would feel this way.

SJW's existed long before the internet. Also, sometimes the defined definition doesn't always tell the full story. Look at feminism for example.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Minecraft and Chill

Minecraft and Chill Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Vaga Bond
    I'm 100% with iDabbbz on it. I don't completely agree that calling someone a nigger isn't racist, but it depends on the context on the other hand. The issue I have with the rules and staff is how strongly enforced some of this shit is.

For starters I'm gonna quickly debunk the idea of saying a racial slur making someone a racist. Racism is considered the belief that another race is inferior. I believe that is agreed upon. Let me give an example now. If someone says "Jesus" but is Jewish, does that make them Christian? No. So why does someone saying "Nigger" make them a racist?

You get banned longer for saying a word rather than RDM, which actually impacts someone's roleplay, because what? Saying nigger will trigger the 90% of white people on the server?

If you're wondering where I'm getting at here is that this server should not have to be a fucking safe space and the idea of racism perceived by the server is retarded.

19. Christ

Christ Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Damian Wright
    If you want to say "nigger" within your own group (party chat, discord, whatever), then keep it there. Saying "nigger" doesn't inherently make you a racist, but the word itself is intended as a slur and it's treated as such within our community. I will agree that it is context dependent, but it seems that people are angry about not being able to use it as a casual insult. There is a difference between saying "Joe Mingebag called me a nigger!" and saying "Joe Mingebag is a nigger!" whether your intent was to offend or not. If you don't agree with how this particular community handles the usage of that word, it's not like you can't find another RP community that doesn't give a rats ass about using the word "nigger".

TL;DR: If you don't like that you can't say "nigger" as a casual insult, then leave.

20. Minecraft and Chill

Minecraft and Chill Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Vaga Bond
    I have a good question then. Will I be fucking permabannned if I make a joke with the use of nigger or niggerfaggot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.