1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of Chronet Roleplay

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simple, May 24, 2014.

1. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    The future of Chronet GMod Roleplay is coming. I'm happy to announce that we’re taking our Lite Roleplay server to the next level. And we’re going to do this together, with you.

Chronet wouldn’t be here today if it weren't for our GMod Roleplay server(s). Since our humble beginnings in 2009 with TrueRP, we’ve had a GMod roleplay server that surpassed all others in our field, constantly evolving to stay relevant. We were one of the first servers to have saving vehicles on the Evocity map in 2009, just as today we’re one of the only DarkRP servers to have such a massive amount of custom features completely unique to our server. We innovate and update the server regularly with new features; big or small, they’re what sets us a part from the 1000s of other generic ‘raid n print’ DarkRP servers out there.

Besides the actual gamemode, our success also lies in our staff and player base. Contrary to popular belief, our player base is rather decent. Especially considering the server is ‘Lite Roleplay’ and most players coming onto the server are there to kill each other and print money. Getting some actual roleplaying done is quite an accomplishment for a Lite RP DarkRP server. So thanks to everyone for doing their part.

Now comes the point of this announcement:

It’s time to go to the next level with our roleplay server, it’s time to get a bit more serious. Semi-Serious.

If you didn’t quite catch that, I’ll make it more clear. Lite Roleplay will soon be a Semi-Serious Roleplay server. What this means is entirely partially (because the ‘customer/player’ doesn’t always know what they want) up to you.

Let’s face it, we’re far more than a ‘Lite Roleplay’ server and calling our server that doesn’t do us justice. In lots of ways, we treat the server like a serious roleplay server, or at least serious for DarkRP. So why not call the server Serious RP? Well, Serious RP is often associated with HL2RP, /me, passive RP, character progression/development and generally very strict rules on what you can and cannot do when it comes to playing on the server. Semi-Serious is mix of both worlds, and I think it’s perfect for what we have on our GMod roleplay server.
    We’re often held back on introducing new features, rules, and gameplay changes on the server because “it’s too serious for Lite RP”. By changing the server to Semi-Serious we can remove some of the limitations and focus on some true RP.

This isn’t simply just a title change though. The entire server ethos, goals, vision and gamemode will transform.

Thus brings me onto another topic, gamemode content and scripts.

A variety of things will change over time to incorporate our new Semi-Serious standard. Things like enforced RP names, titles, more player driven economy, hunger system, etc will make their way on to the server.

Where I need you though (the people who are responsible for the longevity of the server & community) is just how far we should go in the transformation.
    For example, it is now 100% possible to change the map over to Evocity (or similar) and introduce a proper vehicles system (saving them, Government vehicles, etc). We can introduce crafting on a much larger scale. Skills (maybe even skill trees) can be added. Anything that was not possible in the past due to “it’s too serious for Lite RP” is now a possibility. And the sky is the limit. You, alongside with management and staff, are responsible for deciding whether the above examples should be implemented or not. We’re not a AAA game studio or a stingy community, so trial and error (Ie. Failing and succeeding) is an option. So let’s do something radical and make the Semi-Serious server together, for all of us.

As for the server name, we’ll discuss what we’re going to call it. It could simply be “Semi-Serious Roleplay” or we can come up with something else.

The change from Lite Roleplay to Semi-Serious Roleplay is expected to happens over the next month or so. There will be a lack of server updates between now and then; as I’m preparing the gamemode for the switch. But there has now never been a better time to suggest those ideas you’ve always wanted but held back by the server seriousness!

Over the next few weeks I’ll create a few threads to discuss certain aspects of the change to Semi-Serious, your input and feedback will be imperative.

I hope everyone else is excited as I am about this big change.

Feel free to message me on any concerns, questions, or comments you may have. Or better yet, make a thread about it.

Until next time,
    Simple

PS. Today is the 1 year, 7 month anniversary of Chronet :)

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chubop

Chubop Active Member

Awesome!
    However I think strict rules would be a pain in the @$$, everything else sounds awesome! I'd love it all.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  3. Veno

Veno Well-Known Member

I think "Chronet's Semi-Serious Roleplay" or "Chronet.com | Semi-serious Roleplay" would be fine.
    Looking forward to this change. :) As for the map, I think we should give galactic's new edition of evilmelon a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Zaptto

Zaptto Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Riley Graves
    I don't know how I should feel about this... I'm stuck between
    and

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SychoRyan

SychoRyan Active Member

So excited for this update! Actual RP... Also I agree with @Veno about the map.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Kangareuben

Kangareuben Well-Known Member

This is good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Skullduggery

Skullduggery Active Member

Wooooooooooowwwwwwww yeeeeeaaaaah. <3
    Edit: I don't remember posting this...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. SCORPEANrtd

SCORPEANrtd Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Like Deac Cube said... Stuck inbetween both...
    I don't want the server to be too serious that it is no longer fun for me to get on... But I would like something other than just seeing non-stop raiding and farming from people...
    I don't want a much bigger map, but maybe some extra space is good (Might be worth waiting for the map that was promised to use by @Galactic Potatoes if he ever bothers to finish it)
    Could I ask what enforced RP names are? Does that mean like how it is in HL2RP? Where there are characters? Or that you need your name to be like "John Smith"? Because I entirely dislike both of those...

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zaptto

Zaptto Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Riley Graves
    I was the one that said it ya minge

10. SCORPEANrtd

SCORPEANrtd Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Oh... Yeah you did...
    Sorry, I saw the "NO GOD! PLEAS NO! and immediately thought Deac
    I assure you, that's an honest mistake xD

11. Clawness

Clawness Server Admin

Waited so long for a more serious RP experience,
    those nearly 5 years of admin are not for nothing, glad I stayed (even though I dislike the current lite RP (basewars).
    Once again I shall rule the (somewhat more) serious server! :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. 400

400 Retired Trial Admin

upload_2014-5-24_15-27-51.png
    On a more serious note, as much as I hate change (and Democrats) this sounds like a fantastic opportunity for our community.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Kangareuben

Kangareuben Well-Known Member

Can't tell if playing to stereotype or just typical american....

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Retired Staff Member

The server currently has more rules, and more strict rules, than most SeriousRP servers :/

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chance

Chance Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    CHANCE ANDSHITTY
    I approve as long as we get god sticks.
    ;D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Soldierdude727

Soldierdude727 Active Member

Yes!

I also approve of this change. HOWEVER My only concern is if our inventories will be wiped, I kinda don't want to lose everything. I'd like to keep my beer barrel, stoves, and guns. I hate starting over.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  17. Ahsoka Tano757

Ahsoka Tano757 Member

I fully approve.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    There won't be character like HL2RP. You'll just need to make a proper RP name. I might actually not make it enforced, so it might be optional.

Inventories most likely won't be wiped.

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. J1

J1 Active Member

Can't tell if Simple is drunk or serious...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. Chance

Chance Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    CHANCE ANDSHITTY
    Hes serious we've been talking about this in the admin section for awhile.

• Informative Informative x 4