1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrible FPS in GMod

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The Prodigy, Oct 26, 2012.

1. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

A few weeks ago I upgraded from 1.0 GB RAM to 4.0 GB RAM (My PC only uses 2.2 GB due to having a 32-bit OS) at first everything was running fast and smooth, but as the days passed my PC got slower and slower, not long ago I installed GMod and played it with my new 2.2 GB RAM, but instead of giving me more FPS, it gave me half. With 1.0 GB RAM I had arround 80 FPS in DarkRP servers but now with 2.2 GB RAM I get 30 and if there's 20+ people I get 15.

Things tried so far: Defraging, Registry Cleaners, Anti-Virus, Configured my Graphics Card for maximum performance, Increased Virtual Memory, Tried to get as much free space on my HDD as possible and Scaned for errors on my main disk.

So my question to you is, how can I get more FPS in Garry's Mod?

2. Timo

Timo Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Kate Hicks
    Do you have Anti aliasing active? That might take some FPS.
    But I got a similiar problem.. GM is running really slow while BF3 is running totally ok (30 - 60FPS).

3. Candlejack

Candlejack Member

The perfomance on gmod is very, very varying. All depends on the server and the builds on the server, if there is advanced builders on the server using alot of wiring, your performance will suffer while looking in that direction/being close to it.
    Also advanced/badly optimized e2's might make it suffer.

Have you also tried to - underclock - your GPU? In case it's not as healthy anymore, it might make FPS suffer. So try underclocking it a lil' bit.
    CPU can also be a problem worth checking up on, so underclock that one a lil' bit as well.
    If you feel you are advanced enough to try clocking, if not, read up on it alot beforehand, and be careful and take it slow.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Retired Staff Member

Well it might just be that GMOD13 doesn't render as fast as it used to because it uses the new updated Source engine. You also need to take a look at a performance manager while running the game to make sure that it is actually what is using most of your CPU/GPU/MEM and not another application. Having a lot of applications at run time can cause serious slowdowns, especially when they frequently access your HDD at critical rendering points where quick memory access is necessary.
    A "clean" task manager with nothing running (close all applications but task manager) will show you what other programs you have running. If there are a lot of programs you don't know, or just a lot in general you might want to consider cleaning some of them up.
    If you've had your computer for a while, performance can degrade as junk builds up around the motherboard and processor/GPU, try taking your case off of your computer and cleaning out the inside.
    Also, sometimes putting your graphics card to "maximum performance" instead of "Applicaton controlled" can cause problems because the graphics card is forcing instructions that would otherwise be unessecsary and can actually cause performance to degrade even further. I had this problem with the previous set of drivers and could not disable it. Now that I have I see a 30-40 FPS boost.

5. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

I have nearly every setting in Garry's Mod set to minimum except Models and Textures, I cleaned out the inside of my PC last weekend, I have all unnecessary tasks turned off and only had this PC for less than a year. In the old Gmod I had 80+ FPS, after playing a while I got tired of the game and deleted all of it, after some time passed and I received my new RAM, I re-installed Gmod. Map loading and launching the game was a lot faster, but FPS were cut in half.

I've also never overclocked anything ever on this PC and I don't overuse it, I'll try letting graphics card manage itself but I doubt it will do much.

Also I have noticed that my PC is significantly allergic to any kind of particles, since every time I fire a gun and smoke comes from it my FPS start bleeding, yet when I go under the map I get 150 FPS and I don't lag when shooting the gun there.

In a nutshell, my PC has significantly slowed down over a short period of time and I haven't modified any important settings except for setting my graphics card for more performance.

6. Ozymandias

What graphics card do you have? There are some sets of graphics cards in which driver versions will significantly affect performance. (I changed drivers and went from 40 fps to 120+)

7. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
    GPURV620
    Device ID1002-95C5
    SubvendorSapphire/PCPartner (174B)
    Current Performance LevelLevel 1
    Voltage1.100 V
    Technology55 nm
    Die Size61 nm²
    Transistors181 M
    Release DateJan 23, 2008
    DirectX Support10.1
    DirectX Shader Model4.1
    OpenGL Support3.0
    Bios Core Clock600.00
    Bios Mem Clock400.00
    Driverati2mtag.sys
    Driver version6.14.10.7267
    Temperature62 °C
    Core Voltage1.100 V
    BIOS Version11X-CE4005-015
    ROPs4
    Shaders40 unified
    Memory TypeDDR2
    Memory512 MB
    Bus Width512 Bit
    Pixel Fillrate1.2 GPixels/s
    Texture Fillrate1.2 GTexels/s
    Bandwidth6.4 GB/s

8. Ozymandias

I've never heard of a GPURV620, is that an integrated?

9. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

Not sure, I'll ask a expert friend later and let you know. Also putting my graphics card on Default settings didn't improve anything.

10. EmoObama

EmoObama Member

11. The RP Freakie

The RP Freakie Active Member

Have you tried to use a 32-bit RAM unlocker?

12. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

What's that?

13. The RP Freakie

After what i know, it lets you use ALL of your ram in 32 bit

14. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

Never heard of it, I'll go google it, thanks. :D

15. The RP Freakie

Just send me a pm or something if you need to know something more, i am willing to help you as much as i can :)

16. The Prodigy

The Prodigy Member

I looked up RAM unlocker and seems that it will only make my video card go apeshit and suicide, I've tried lowering everything in Garry's Mod and tried switching to DX8 but FPS remained terrible, I reinstalled my graphics card control center and now I get around 30-40 so at least Garry's Mod is playable now. I guess I have no other choice but to save up for a new PC.

17. Pure Burnt

Pure Burnt Member

Umm sorry that I'm 6 years late to the party but GMOD runs off the cpu and not the gpu. I;m feailry certain there isn't a way to change this

• Old Old x 1