1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roleplay rules updated!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simple, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Our roleplay rules have received a significant overhaul!
    Huge thanks to Stiggy for doing this all!

Check them out here:
    http://chronet.com/pages/roleplay-rules/

Stiggy will further explain the rule overhaul below.

Please discuss the rule changes here.

• Like Like x 10
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Community Management Forum Moderator Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    I will continue to work on this, with my initial focus being on ironing out the issues that came up when implementing my work with Xenforo (as you can see, the rules are getting shifted over when their rule number fades in, unless the rule number has 2 digits in it). I think this might require that I completely re-design the whole mechanism for doing this.

I will also continue to make other quality-of-life improvements, general design improvements and add any additional features that I think are necessary.

As for the rules themselves, there have been a significant number of changes, largely aimed at trying to remove any ambiguity. These are also subject to change with user feedback.

I hope you find these much improved over the old set. Thanks.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Firearm2112

Firearm2112 Member

I think the ladder rule should be removed, very easy to abuse. For example I have seen people make super unrealistic height ladders purely for prop climbing.

4. Stiggy

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    You mean the rule that says you're allowed to use ladders realistically? I think this already addresses these "unrealistic [...] ladders" you're talking about.

5. MedicStudios

MedicStudios Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    I truley hope this pleases those who don't want us to enforce "clearly unwritten rules". Its very difficult enforcing rules when people don't know about them, so thank you lots very taking the time to do this. Hopefully it provides a bit more clearer understanding as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Finally

Finally Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Goodbye guys
    The update is fucking beautiful, you've brought clarity to a few "grey areas" and it's great.
    Thanks to you Stiggy as well, you helped significantly, if these newly implemented rules are enforced properly I think there will be a great improvement.

Edit: I also see this as beneficial to almost everyone, as it really does extend the means the administration team has to simply state "Thems be the rules, follow them." Rather than having players argue that it's not a written rule. The section discussing listening to an admin would be great in practice, I just hope it goes smooth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Sage Rasen

Sage Rasen Active Member

Over all I agree with @MedicStudios and @Finally this covers a lot of the grey areas and is a pretty good rule update. I still see some problems and the main one would probably be the Flame rule but that is just my personal opinion.
    If I see some rules that I have minor problems with I will list them below.

12.4. You may not display bias.
    • This means that you must not show leniency towards your friends.
    You should also have something about how admins should not over punish on someone they don't like.

12.2. You must give descriptive ban reasons.
    I am assuming this means putting "etc" at the end of every ban is not OK. Right?

10.1. You may not steal or hijack job-specific vehicles.
    Does this mean you can not steal cop cars anymore? I understand like ERU or Road service vehicles but I feel like you should still be able to hijack a cop car (Not the swat van).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Klondike Bear

Klondike Bear Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Donovan Ronson
    Could you provide an example of powergaming?

9. Sage Rasen

Sage Rasen Active Member

I can for you.
    "Hey you, I saw you had a gun earlier! Drop that gun for me right now or die."
    Now with the whole "Forcing RP on someone" Thing I am drawing a blank maybe @Stiggy could give you a good example

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Stiggy

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    That comes under the umbrella of 'display bias', I'm not sure the point needs to be pressed any further, though I will consider your feedback. Thanks.

No, a ban reason should clearly lay out the rules that have been broken, so that another person can look through a player's past bans and clearly understand why they were banned. 'etc' doesn't tell them anything.

11. Sage Rasen

Sage Rasen Active Member

Thanks for the reply.

12. Klondike Bear

Roleplay name:
    Donovan Ronson
    1. 10.3.7. You may not take another hostage for 30 minutes after releasing your previous hostage.
    What if you take multiple hostages at once? As if in a robbery?

13. Stiggy

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    That is a good question. Accounting for that might require some linguistic gymnastics or magic, if it's to be kept brief.
    My stance is that there will be situations where it is reasonable to take multiple hostages simultaneously, as you describe, but if I simply said "You may not take another set of hostages" then I would have to go on to define "a set" so that somebody cannot simply claim they're still collecting their first set of hostages. Thanks, I will contemplate this.

EDIT: I'm not sure that you have misread, I think it's quite open to interpretation right now as to how the current wording affects a group of hostages.

14. Klondike Bear

Roleplay name:
    Donovan Ronson
    Also in regards to the 10 minute rule, what if an rp situation is actively occuring after the time limit? Perhaps if your using the victim for leverage against the police force? Such as a heist?

15. Stiggy

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    Then I think you took too long, and it's unfair to force the hostage to remain.
    If there is such a situation going on, though, it seems likely that the hostage might be enjoying themselves, and may well want to stay, so I wouldn't immediately assume that this means any hostage roleplay is always going to end at 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Quigly

Quigly Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Marty Lotus
    I have a few questions about rules that I feel are still a bit ambiguous.

"You may not get into a vehicle while in the process of being detained."
    Does this address getting into the drivers seat and driving while handcuffed, or does this also apply to passengers as well? I feel that it is still realistic for someone to quickly drive close to you, push the door open, and let you in.

"Powergaming is forcing your roleplay onto others."
    I feel that some examples should be provided for this rule. In what situations would it be considered powergaming?

"Running or driving away from the police for petty crimes (e.g. breaking a window or running a red light)."
    Does this apply if you are already wanted and pulled over for a non serious traffic stop? For example, would this apply for being pulled over for running a red light while you are wanted for a serious crime?

"You may not steal or hijack job-specific vehicles."
    Does this also apply to police vehicles? I feel that I speak for a lot of people when i say that stealing police vehicles is extremely fun, and is very valuable in many RP situations. For example, you could pull someone over with a stolen police vehicle and use that as your advantage to mug people in the outskirts.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Stiggy

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    This would also apply to people getting in passenger seats, yes. This is already technically not allowed, because it's breaking 'Fear RP' when there's already an officer who's detaining you, I put it in the rules to make it explicitly clear that this isn't allowed, removing any room for interpretation.

I will consider this, thank you.

The rule says that you cannot kill them for reprimanding you for a petty crime; in a situation where you're wanted but happen to be pulled over, you'll find that when they realise you're wanted, they'll no longer be attempting to reprimand you for just the petty crime, but also because you're wanted, so you can defend yourself.

Yes, this does apply to police vehicles. The situation you describe does indeed sound like it adds an element to roleplay, but realistically this is not how they're used or why it's done, and even if they were, it takes away more roleplay than it gives back by seriously limiting the police officer's ability to perform their job.

Just thought I'd add a quick note that I'm particularly busy until Friday, but I hope to have an update ready for the weekend.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. MedicStudios

MedicStudios Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    @Stiggy, do you think you can add the example for FailRP when you unlock your car, you can't hope into it like the owner normally would? So this would be an instince of "stealing someones car". Also, is it against the rules to hop into the driver seat if your already inside a car to steal it? This is a common issue I see and I'm not sure on the rules regarding them.

19. Markoozy

Markoozy Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Marko Milosevic
    We really should remind people that pressing ALT + 1-9 will kick any passenger out of the respective seat and ALT + 0 will kick all passengers out of the car.

• Like Like x 2
  20. nflden

nflden Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Dennis Krappenschitz
    Only due to the length of the rules, is there a change-log of sorts to highlight all revisions?
    Excuse me if this is a retarded question, not in best frame of mind so if its obvious just rate dumb and ignore.

• Agree Agree x 1