1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rockford Edit for Chronet Rolelay

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by johnny 4 times, Sep 6, 2017.

1. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    Good news! The project was approved, check the latest comments to stay up-to-date with the map's progress.

The Chronet roleplay server seems like the kind of server that deserves its own version of Rockford. Luckily Statua, the creator of Rockford, has made the original vmf available for editing. I'm not sure if an edit has been entertained before, I'm sure it has, but I'd be willing to offer my mapping services for such a project if the staff were interested.

Given that Rockford pushes Source limitations, any large-scale changes would require some map elements to be removed or simplified. The map also requires a modified vrad.exe, which I have, to compile the map at all.

For the time being, I'd love to listen to community comments/questions/concerns on such a project. Just keep things realistic!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Clorox Bleach

Clorox Bleach Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
  3. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    That thread appears to be dead, let this be an iteration that would be completed if wanted.

4. Clorox Bleach

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
    But they already chose a map according to simple and the admins, you can try though

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    Absolutely! I seek the staff's discretion, given that the work would be primarily on my part for this project.

Some food for thought on changes:

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    Rockford is an incredibly popular map, perhaps to popular. My biggest issue with Rockford is how inconsistent it is with performance and optimisations, short of remaking the map, there isn't much you can do to improve the performance without completely changing the layout, which again is incredibly time consuming and not many people have the patience to do so.

When Statua briefly visited the community, he had streamed a fair portion if him working on Rockford V2 over at Twitch, I had watched him completely rip parts of his other maps and slap them into Rockford without any testing, one instance of this is the bank vault, which is broken beyond all belief 90% of the time, poor troubleshooting and playtesting is a killer for performance.

We have indeed found an alternative to Rockford for the next big update, I haven't officially killed my project, It is still in the works and I hope to have a finished product in the late future, however it's on an indefinite hiatus for now. I don't think that completely dismissing the option for having a custom version made for Chronet is an entirely smart idea, so I guess you can say there will always be on the table, though these things do take time.

That's some really good work there, my only recommendation is maintain consistency with your workflow, I've seen a whole bunch of maps that have such an amazing layout but are incredibly lacklustre when it comes down to the visual aesthetic, if you have ever endured the experience of Half Life 2 level design you'll notice that everything is incredibly gritty with a muted colour grade.

It looks like you're using TopHattWaffle's Real World Textures, I know for a fact that they're mostly really great and are of a high quality, however they belong in the category of clean aesthetics, whereas HL2 does not, if you plan to use both of them together in close proximity, try to find a subtle way to transitions those textures, not doing so will leave you with really harsh looking visuals they will not make much sense.

If you would like some collaboration on the project, feel free to hit me up on steam, I still have a whole bunch of ideas for this map.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    Optimization is my middle name. Source may not handle large open areas very well, but I'm pretty crafty with my usage of skips, area portals, and draw distances.

No Tophat textures here. I make my own!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    oh good golly this is very nice

perhaps.. in the future...

a collaboration?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    I'm not too big into collaborations. I'm very picky about brushwork!

Whenever I get the go ahead; I'd like to get started immediately. I've joined the discord, so if the staff would like to meet with me about this. Perhaps this evening?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Aluminum

Aluminum Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    June Wright
    I would love a custom Rockford map for Chronet over the map we chose for V2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clorox Bleach

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
    Tell us the map

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    @Kai @Chance

I'm available for the rest of the day to discuss the project. I'd love to voice chat through discord, just let me know!

13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    It's ultimately up to @Simple if we want to go with a custom Rockford map.

• Like Like x 1
  14. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    @Simple let's chat!

Also, I figured I should show some of my recent work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. Clorox Bleach

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
  16. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    I have! Just wanting to seek new information. I also believe that the Rockford discussed back in November of 2016 was an older version.

17. Clorox Bleach

Roleplay name:
    Seymour Jackson
    It wasn't, it was still rockford_v2b

18. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    Just waiting on a response back from Simple. He's on a break of sorts from the community for a few more days. I'll keep the thread updated with any news on the project, and if the project were to take place; the thread will contain pictures and information on the map's progress.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DogePlayz2

DogePlayz2 Active Member

Roleplay name:
    James Westen
    can u change the look of the posts for the nicer houses?

20. johnny 4 times

johnny 4 times Member

Roleplay name:
    johnny moe
    Those were some old houses I made in 2015. We'll have new ones made. If you happen to find any good house plans; post'em.