1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please do not post threads relating to our roleplay server here! You can post RP related things here!
    Dismiss Notice

Re: "Chronet V2" (My problems with it)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SoulTurtle, Feb 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    Hello, my name is SoulTurtle/JoinMySniperClan/beastXfromXtheXeast. I have been involved in this community for 4 years now and have seen it in its ups and downs. I have seen good people get banned and bad people not get banned, I write this letter openly to all of the staff and upper-management including @Simple @AngryBaldMan @Aluminum @Kai @Christ @Ultra™ @Chance . I will be completely transparent with this thread and will welcome all opinions and views, so lets get on to the flesh and bones of this letter.

Wipe and V2
    Chronet V2 from its creators sounds like some utopia where everything will be great and there will be no problems at all, but if you know anything about the history of this community then you will know that this is not true. When I joined Chronet 4 years ago I liked it for what it was then, I stayed on Rockford because Chronet was still important to me and I didn't want to leave. At this moment in time I am not sure if I will stay, the reason being that every time that Chronet has reset it has become more populated and much more mingy. As it is there is at least 5 bans a day and that is only people banned when the staff are on (I will come back to this issue). If that got any higher the server would be almost unplayable, not even factoring in the chat spam and lag issue (also another issue I will come back too).
    I want to make it clear that I am not advocating against a wipe I am just giving a warning to be very very very careful about it.

Staff and management reform
    I want to be upfront and clear about this, this was not a good idea at all. It has affected things that you would think it wouldn't, well I mean the first fact is that they reduced the amount of staff on a server that is struggling with active staff.... great idea there guys. The second thing that is being affected is just server gameplay in general, since the "Reform" the staff have been more lenient about everything.

Leniency

So recently it seems like the key word is "lenient" which doesn't give me good feelings. From bans to admin apps the Upper-management has been "lenient" about everything, being lenient in a job about keeping bad things out is not a good idea. Want to be an admin but you don't pass 4 out of the 8 requirements? Don't worry because the requirements aren't actually requirements at all, now they are basically just a set of goals that you should shoot for. Its funny that most of the staff right now have bans which goes against the requirements to be staff but
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I feel like that face pretty much sums up the "Staff and management reform" topic.

Future worries
    My future worries lie in the Upper-managements hands so I can't really say anything at this moment.

Now I should probably stop before I pull a Scorp but know this, you can respond to this in whatever way you want. Doesn't matter if you rate this down or just respond and call me a cuck it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Canadian-bacon

Canadian-bacon Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    While somethings you said are valid, you can't possibly believe Chronet was in a better state before the merge. It took nearly the entire resignation of the staff team before anything was done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. AngryBaldMan

AngryBaldMan Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    Quality, over quantity Simple and I care way more about the quality of our staff members than the amount of them there are.

Ya, no shit. Chronet V2, is a development overhaul Simple and I are developing not the second coming of @Christ

I'm not debating something that occurred 2 years ago, I never leaked anyone's name or phone number if you're going to attack me personally, get your facts straight.

I wouldn't say Lenient, has been the word of the month, it has been realistic.

See, if you're going to make a thread that's supposed to be constructive, leave horribly informed attacks out of the thread. That's not what I really care about, however, I mentioned realistic earlier. Now, you hold the days of when the community first started on a pedestal, yet you neglect one of the best parts of those days, people were realistic. Now that's indeed vague, but it is supposed to be because it has many meanings. The one I use it for frequently is the fact that this is a Garry's Mod community on the internet and for the past few years, it turned from that to a tower of drama. Good staff resigned over drama, but what I am getting at with this thread, is that you're calling those days somewhat better than our current state which by the way, you're the first I've ever heard say that.

The whole point of the management reform and Simple agrees with this heavily, people need to stop taking this so seriously, as you are right now. People should be enjoying themselves and having a good roleplay experience on our servers. Now when there are rule breaks, specifically ones that have recently been uncommunity-banned, post a ban request or call an admin. The whole clemency for permanently banned users is a one-time ordeal. There has been a lot of admins on lately, so your claim that there hasn't is truly puzzling.

Your biggest concern it appears is the unbanning of several members that have been banned in the past. Now, to say that this is a new thing and that permanent bans have always been permanent until my degenerate ass showed up is just not true. Hodir is a prime example of that, and several others as well, but I'm not digging back for something as small as this. The point of this is to give people a second chance, this is a video game, we all make some idiotic inclined mistakes here and there, and we decided to give some of these individuals, a second chance. Now, if you're going to pull the "well they're basically Hitler". (Yes I have heard someone say that) well, that's just idiotic.

Chronet, yes I'm saying this again, is a Garry's Mod Community. Not a white suburban community in 1950's Alabama. All I can say, however, is thank you for your feedback. :)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Markoozy

Markoozy Retired Sever Admin

Roleplay name:
    Marko Milosevic
    I'll say this. I appreciate the concern you have, but before the announcement of V2, the server was going nowhere. At least with some of the reforms, the server has a fighting chance of getting to be good again. A big leap has been taken, momentum has been made, and we can address some of these concerns along the way. It's the reason I came back, and if I have anything to say about it, I intend to make it the reason I stay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    10 things
    1. If your saying that it won't be a big utopian then please tell the rest of the community because some members definitely think so.
    2. I am not attacking you personally, I made an example that 2 of our CM's have been permabanned before.
    3. You say you valued quality over quality in staff, well have the staff that "resigned" were fine staff members, there was no lack of quality there.
    4. Well I have seen you say lenient recently a lot more than realistic.
    5. You seem to be grasping onto the fact that I attacked you or the community in someway.
    6. If that is the first time you have ever heard someone say that then you either need to turn your volume up or just listen at all, in those days you wouldn't have 1000 ping and be getting RDMed every other step.
    7. I would chill out and roleplay more but whenever I try to do a traffic stop I get RDMed.
    8. I would call and admin but you cut the number of them in half so there are none on.
    9. I did not blame you for permabans not being permanent, the only thing I said is that since the "reform" happened most of the ban list has appealed and been unbanned.
    10. This letter is not just for you and is for all of the upper-management.

I don't, I never said that it was in a better state. All I believe is that some... no most of the decisions being made by the staff team in general I do not agree with. I don't think the CTRL+A > DELETE of almost the entire staff team helped with the progress of Chronet V2, those staff could have stayed and I am pretty sure everything would be the same as it is now.

I do agree that the server would have died without the merge, I am not saying that the merge shouldn't have happened just saying that @Simple has to be very careful with what he does.

6. Vhondy

Vhondy Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Matt Yutang
    Utopia ? Everyone’s just exited for some updates and a wipe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    I am as well but as I just said

8. Islexic

Islexic Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Artur Mohammed
    I was concerned at first with angry's track record but that was two years ago and people change. I'm sure he will be a good community manager.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    If you are gonna throw shade at un perm'd people at least show evidence or bring up some history..... this entire thread is just you accusing old perm'd players of being minges..... I play everyday and I have literally seen no people who have gotten unbanned RDM..... they make sure their kills are within the rules or they dont kill at all.... You literally hang out with people who have been unbanned recently (Or atleast try to) so I have no idea why you are complaining lmfao

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. AngryBaldMan

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    Can you quote anything where myself or any CM including Simple has said that V2 is going to be a utopia?

The ones that did not return were either bad staff, or they didn't want to return themselves.

Well, you made 2 very impactful and serious false allegations, which would be slander.

I haven't seen any horrid pings on the server other than one, and that person lives in Korea. Prior to the management revamp, it was a lot more chaotic. And No I haven't heard 1 single person say the server prior to the merge was better.

There is staff on a lot, not 24/7 of course, and when they're not on post a ban request.

There are approximately 3,000 permanent bans on record. We've appealed 34.

I'm well aware, but you could have left the attacks out.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    I was not saying everyone who got unbanned should be banned again. What I am saying is that SOME of the players that have been unbanned went back to their mingy ways quite quickly. I was hired to kill a mayor by someone name Porpoise Dan and after I refused to kill him because he didn't have a real reason, he said that he would do it and I watched him kill the mayor myself.
    I didn't say that you or Simple said it, I said that some members think it will be.
    I think a lot of those staff would like their jobs back if you asked them.
    I was not meaning to personally impact you, also I think scorpion would disagree with you if he were still with us.
    I usual average 140 ping when there is 25-30 people on. As I said in a previous post
    I personally wouldn't say there is "a lot" of staff on. I can't be recording all the time because I barely have any space on my HDD.
    I was over exaggerating there.
    I could have but then I wouldn't be completely transparent with you.

12. AngryBaldMan

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    The few we didn't ask, weren't asked for a reason.

You can't disagree with facts. And thank god almighty he is not with us.

Those two are not the same thing.

13. SoulTurtle

SoulTurtle Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Smith
    Alright, I can accept that a few were troublesome.
    That might be a fact for you put to him to "leaked" it.
    If I didn't use you as an example twice then I would not have been as transparent as possible.

14. AngryBaldMan

Roleplay name:
    Andrew Harrison
    Could you rephrase that maybe a typo I just don't understand?

We're happy to discuss your other concerns at the community meeting. if you're willing to attend.

15. Ultra™

Ultra™ Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Kael Ilphelkiir
    The staff and management reform was completely necessary. Right before it happened, Chronet was on the verge of death and almost no staff members were even getting on anymore. The entire server had turned into a constant warzone, with people getting Mass RDMed over and over again at or near the spawns. Ever since the reform was announced, staff activity on the server has increased, with some players even making mention of it in the OOC chat.

An increase in overall leniency was absolutely required. The previous style of management was overly stringent and contributed significantly to the downfall of Chronet's playerbase. No offense intended to any particular staff members, but the staff team under the old management style had actually managed to ban out most of the server's active playerbase, as crazy and impossible as that may sound.

While it is true that two of the current six Community Managers have a permanent ban on their record, you have to remember that people are capable of learning from their mistakes.

You claim that the staff members that were not re-introduced into the staff team were fine and didn't lack quality. That may be true for the ones that are no longer staff simply because of extreme inactivity, however that statement is completely false in regards to the ones that were let go for reasons other than inactivity. I will not mention names, but part of the reason they are no longer staff is because they heavily contributed to the "banning out" of the server's playerbase that I mentioned previously.

I'm sorry, but saying that "we cut the number of staff in half" and that "there are none on" is simply untrue. In fact, as I mentioned earlier in this post, ever since the staff reform happened, staff activity on the server has increased, not decreased as you claim it to be. And finally, claiming that the reform halved the amount of staff members is just blatantly false.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. BlueberryMuffin

BlueberryMuffin Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Marsha Newman
    I personally find it depressing that Simple had to bend his knee to a permabanned player from ages ago just to keep the place alive. I would’ve come back tbh if Simple got a dev team. Instead we get a dev who also gets cm and some rando that I’ve never heard of before. Medic and Bacon also get free staff because they went and for lack of a better word, sucked dick at Nitoria for free staff and Medic gets senior admin, and Bacon full. I’m not willing to take orders from some rando, nor am I willing to take orders from someone who was once community banned here. And I’m certainly not taking orders from dick riders. That’s my personal view on this, if you disagree, fine. I will not respond to anyone who responds to me to prevent an argument.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ultra™

Ultra™ Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Kael Ilphelkiir
    As I mentioned in my previous post, people can learn from their mistakes, which is why permanently banned players can still make ban appeals and have a chance to be accepted. While AngryBaldMan may have made a mistake in the past which got him community banned, he has now learned from it, as well as having publicly apologized for it and accepted his wrongdoing in his ban appeal. Now he is putting in effort into reviving Chronet and bringing it back to its former glory. If that isn't indicative of a player who has reformed from his past ways, then what is?

While you and me never interacted with each other on the server and thus never got to know each other, many other people in this community either know me well or at least have an idea of who I am, from interacting with me on the server, on the forums, or by hearing about me from other players. While it is true that not every player knows me, if I was a complete random, I would have never been promoted in the first place.

Medic and Canadian-bacon are part of the new staff team because they have both proven to be good and fair admins, unlike some of the people who were not re-introduced into it. Even before the recent staff reform, Canadian-bacon already had an administration style in line with our new management style, so keeping him in the new staff team was a no-brainer.

While you are free not to respond to this, I would like to mention that proper debate will only do good for the community. If you truly care about Chronet, you should be open to discourse on this topic; a discussion like this one can only prove to be beneficial.

Lastly, I would like to express my distaste towards the overall egotistical and vulgar tone of your response. While of course everyone is allowed to have their opinion, the way you expressed yours is frankly quite petty and certainly not something I would expect out of a former full administrator. Before blindly criticizing others, perhaps you should first look into yourself and your attitude towards this whole situation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. George

George Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Han Conway
    Now, no offense to Chance, but he did virtually nothing for months on end to help Chronet. He'd come on the forums every now and then, put through any apps (Didn't even look at them as far as I'm aware since some absolutely absurd ones got through) and then would be on his way again. Now in my personal opinion, he still does nothing. I'm not meaning to make this a personal attack towards Chance since I don't mind the guy, I just want to bring up how Muffin took orders from him, someone who was doing nothing to help the community but isn't willing to take orders from multiple people who want to help this community and bring it back. You really shouldn't be holding these kind of grudges on a Garry's Mod Server, especially when it was over 2 years ago. It's not like he just murdered a family or whatever. Just my thoughts though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Medic

Medic Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    This is exactly why I hope you aren’t allowed back. This really shows your true colors. I didn’t suck no dick, I was just doin me. Whether or not Chronet did what we did, I still would have stayed staff. You say it like I haven’t earned it, I’ve done plenty for this community. It’s been more than just time on the server. I’m probably one of the few really respected staff In this community. When have I ever been involved in drama? When was my last staff complaint to when I was active? Who got admin of the year by the community? Once again, another ex staff member trying to throw shade with the most controversial player relations past. The handful of people who brought drama into the staff team are long gone and I couldn’t be happier.

Excuse me if that was unprofessional but it needed to be said.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Canadian-bacon

Canadian-bacon Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    In the end, the argument isn't worth the prize. Lay down for now. Cheers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1