1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Build Help Pls?

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by The Big "N", Feb 14, 2015.

1. The Big "N"

The Big "N" Member

So about a week ago I decided to actually put some research to the new PC i mentioned in 2013, and I've come up with a list of parts and such, just had a few questions. Also take note that my budget is around $1 200 (or 1,200 for you 'Mericans) CAD (Canadian Dollars) so feel free to correct any of my part selection due to budget, kthnx.
    Parts (?) -
    -
    Dual GeForce GTX 970s? (Do I even need 2?) (Also quick note, I am running 2 monitors, one VGA and one HDMI, so just wondering if that has any effect.
    - Intel i7? (Maybe i5?) (3.0 GHz) (?) Can't really find a price so if someone could name the price, that'd be pretty swell.
    - Motherboard I don't really know of many, thinking something ASUS, but if someone could name a good one to fit the graphics card(s) for a decent price, that'd be kewl.
    - Sound Card (?) Have no clue if I need one or not, so give me a hand with that!
    - For a case, I'll just run down to a store that sells them at the end, just to make sure that everything will fit, thinking something Corsair?
    - Fans, I don't know many brands of good fan, so if someone can name one, that'd be swell!
    - LED interior lights, Probably just gonna duct tape a flashlight somewhere that shines in xD
    So yeah, if someone could run through those parts and give me so comments, and maybe an estimated price, I could translate that price to Canadian, so thanks!
    EDIT: I know I put a 1200 dollar budget, and being the idiot I am, I forgot the price of ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ELSE so if everyone could forget the budget, and answer everything else, that'd be swell. kthnx.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Perm Banned

On a serious note: I think 2 970s and a i7 is a lot your gonna need a damn good motherboard and other components.

3. CombineStalker

CombineStalker Active Member

Not Really... Any sli capable z97 mobo will do.

@The Big "N"
    Though, I would NOT go with 2x 970s, as not all games are optomised for sli. Also, I'd never buy a 970 on priciple. nVidia lied about the specs...

No offense, but from this post it looks like you know nothing about building pcs, as it does not even mention many essential parts, such as ram, storage, ect.

I'd go for this instead:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DGBG6h
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DGBG6h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($337.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.50 @ Amazon)
    Hard Disk Drive: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB STRIX Video Card ($555.00 @ Amazon)
    Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Optical Disk Drive: Pioneer BDR-207MBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($89.95 @ Amazon)
    Total: $1967.38
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 18:07 EST-0500

Is it the most powerful build I could get you for $2,000? No. Is the best overall, also counting reliability and features (such as a 256gb SSD and a blu-ray RW unit.) Also, everything is amazon prime available, if you happen to be a prime member.

Part Justification Time!!!:

CPU: I chose this cpu as it give monstrous performance, and is they best your gonna get without spending huge amounts of money on X99.

CPU Cooler: It's a good, reliable cpu cooler. It keep things cool. Durr.

Motherboard: This is a very reliable good motherboard from Asus. It's expensive,but you get what you pay for.

Memory (RAM): Hard to beat corsair vengance pro ram. Again, not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for (you will see this as a running theme here with my part selection)

SSD: Blazing fast and reliable. What more is there to say?

Hard Disk Drive: 2TB Of storage + a 5 year warranty = Win

Case: Have used this case twice before. It is easy to build in, and comes with nice led fans to boot.

Power Supply: I have worked with the AX 760 PSU before. It has been keeping a 24/7 server online for over a year, so it should work for your gaming PC.

Optical Disk Drive: Most do not use optical drives much, but you do need them occasionally. This one has the feature of being a blu-ray reader/ writer, so that's cool.

Please note, you will still need to buy windows (if that's your thing) and peripherals, such as mice, keyboard, monitors, ect.

Here is a link to all the part's prices and buy links: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DGBG6h/by_merchant/

Happy building!

4. SychoRyan

SychoRyan Active Member

No need for a soundcard unless you plan on being the next JB.
    No need for 2 970's a 970 Should run any current and next gen game smoothly. And a 980 is not really necessary. Also the 970 only using 3.5 GB of Ram is totally fine any game that needs over 3.5 GB is only for graphics and probably using way to many shaders. And it runs BF4 at Ultra at 65+ FPS (Reference )
    Also don't get any LED's they are cool at first but just get annoying after a while (Personal experience)
    Heres my next build would need to add your OS.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sycho/saved/YH4j4D
    Maybe add another SSD for games.(If you plan on having a lot of games on there)
    And since its under-budget (based on your OS) may want to get some more case fans.
    Note this also supports and runs Shadowplay like a beast.
    And @CombineStalker no need for an I7 They are way to overpriced for what you get an I5 should do anything he would need.

5. SCORPEANrtd

SCORPEANrtd Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Make sure you be careful of what sites you buy from! I used PC Part picker for my build, and at least one of the sites on there for the cheapest deal asked for really specific and private things... Such as my bank, and their phone number....
    So basically I just found all my items on New egg and bought it there... Sure maybe a few dollars extra in cost... But better that than identity fraud for my parents...

6. CombineStalker

There's a reason all the parts I chose are on Amazon, and prime ready.

@SychoRyan Never said the 970 was a bad card. I said I'd never buy one on principle. Nvidia done screwed up.

Also, some new games use the 8 threads of the i7 over the i5, and new games will continue to do so, making cheaping out on the cpu a bad idea. I am constantly maxing out 8gb ram, so I'd get 16gb.

Also... Why the XFX PSU and Lower performance SSD?

7. SychoRyan

SychoRyan Active Member

You gotta remember his budget, 1200$ so you can't go all out on a beast PC I have a similar budget and am suggesting what I am doing with the research I have done.
    And the lower performance SSD since it is cheaper and doesn't cause him to go overbudget

8. CombineStalker

Wait, he wanted 2x 970s in a 1200 budget? Where did he state his budget, as I did not see it...

Wait, did he edit it in after my post?

9. The Big "N"

The Big "N" Member

Well being the idiot I am, I forgot that I couldn't pick up a super power supply and motherboard up whilst at the grocery store for 3.99 (50% off sale) so I feel like a complete idiot, -_- and in responce to your question, no I didn't edit that in after your post, but if anyone could forget about the budget, that would be great xD kthnx.
    EDIT: And also Combine Stalkier, I did mean to put in RAM and such, but i've already settled on 16 GBs of ram a dual 1TB HDDs if theres something better that would make it run smoother, please do speak up, kthnx.

10. CombineStalker

K den. Did you see my suggestion for a build?

11. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Perm Banned
    Just realized your lilshatespug

12. SychoRyan

SychoRyan Active Member

Me to but
    I wouldn't go with the two terabyte drives maybe a one terabyte for games and storage and a SSD for your OS and other files.

13. CombineStalker

Meh, better safe than sorry. Then again, I'm a file hoarder, so I WOULD personally benefit from a massive HDD. But it's N's choice.