1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor Complaint

Discussion in 'Staff Complaints' started by Tip, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Tip

Tip Member

Roleplay name:
    TOMMY FINNIGAN
    Admin In-Game Name: Hima Lowa
    Approximate Time and Date of Incident: 10/1 3:30 PM EST
    Any proof (Screenshots, videos, console logs, etc). Proof is not required to post an admin complaint.
    Your complaint: My complaint is that I was officially warned for a "rule" that is mentioned nowhere in the rules, rather than simply having it explained to me.

[​IMG]

For context, here is what happened in the RP situation:
    • I fired a gun in town hall
    • An officer pursued me
    • I killed myself upstairs via lethal injection to avoid going back to prison
    Chronet rules make no mention whatsoever of suicide, dying to avoid arrest, etc. I was told that this has "been a standard rule for a long time", yet the rules make no mention of it in any context.

I was quoted the "unfair" rule, which seems to be a catch all, but I do not think the RP situation was unfair.
    • It is perfectly reasonable that a previously convicted felon would rather die than go to prison again. This could be a type of gang mentality "don't let them take you alive", a result of bad experiences being in prison before, etc. People suicide by cop or die to avoid arrest pretty frequently IRL, so I'm not sure why this would be classified as an unfair roleplay situation.
    • ERU still has the opportunity to revive the unconscious player
    • Lethal Injections exist, and I was told by Hima they have no roleplay functionality outside of getting yourself unstuck. If this is the case, I believe this should be mentioned in the rules. The existence of lethal injections would strongly point to the fact that suicide is a valid roleplay situation.

My problem is there is literally no way for anyone to know this is against the rules. As mentioned above, the existence of lethal injections would lead most people to believe suicide is a viable option. When I said this to Hima, he said to consider my official warning notice that it's against the rules. I believe it would make more sense to communicate to a player that they are breaking an "unwritten rule" BEFORE handing out an official warning - this is the meat of my complant.

For what it's worth this isn't really a complaint against Hima personally - I have seen other admins often cite people for unwritten rules. Updating your rules should always be a top priority, and if something like this is a common occurrence it should certainly be in the rule book before you hand out warnings for it.

2. Medic

Medic Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    In my personal experience, this should be common sense. If you were allowed to suicide to avoid RP situations, everyone would do it and RPing as cop would be virtually impossible. A warning is a warning, and its extremely minor. Hopefully he put some brief information for future reference of what the warning entailed, however, I wouldn't be concerned and I dont think its worthy of a complaint.

3. BlueberryMuffin

BlueberryMuffin Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Marsha Newman
    2.6. Not valuing your own life (often called breaking 'Fear RP').
    Suicide counts as not valuing your life. Use common sense.

4. Canadian-bacon

Canadian-bacon Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    I told you to add it to the unwritten rules thread if you felt that it wasn't obvious and needed to be specifically mentioned.

5. AZIN 2

AZIN 2 Member

Roleplay name:
    Faith Moore
    Wait, if you commit a crime IN REAL LIFE. What are the chances of you wanted to go to jail for said crime? Honestly I think a lethal injection (Or a bullet to the head) is what I'd do if I had ever committed a crime.

6. Lava_Master

Lava_Master Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Rader
    That’s failing to value your life. It’s bannable, who cares if it works irl, rules are rules

7. BSFDFirefighter

BSFDFirefighter Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Porter Westen
    1. Don't reply to the thread if you weren't a part of the reason behind the complaint.
    2. If this were real life, would you rather risk being arrested, knowing you have 50% chance of being found guilty and 50% of being found innocent, or would you rather kill yourself and have been proven innocent later in court if you were put on trial? I'd rather go 50/50 than kill myself.

8. AZIN 2

AZIN 2 Member

Roleplay name:
    Faith Moore
    There's the problem. It is bannable to RP killing yourself for commiting a crime, let me repeat that, IT IS BANNABLE TO RP.

First off, involved or not. Needs to be put out there that it is RP.
    Second off, No. Commiting a crime, it's much like chronet. What the admins says is considered good enough to be proof. If you have watched anything ever about court sessions. They are incredible biased towards the Government much like how chronet Admins are incredibly biased towards A.) people they like and B.) the other admins. Unless you have got a god tier lawyer, there is a high chance of prison time.

Now, as for that. If I committed a crime, I'm not gonna serve time in jail. I'd run for as long as I could and then if they found me, boom. I'm dead.

Because half the admins of Chronet don't understand RP even if it slapped them in the face.
    --- Post updated ---
    Also, if you want me to. I can go all liberal and say:
    By not letting me comment and put in my opinion you are effectively taking away my freedom of speech
    (Memes, amirite)

9. Canadian-bacon

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    Then we should let Mass RDM happen because Mass shootings happen all the time and it's RP.

10. AZIN 2

AZIN 2 Member

Roleplay name:
    Faith Moore
    If he's got a REAL reason for it, then yes. You should. Are the reasons correct? Is the RP Character depressed and facing hard tasks in life. Mass shootings happen when someones life isn't all great and they can't deal with it anymore. Much like school shootings. Most happen because the kid is being bulled and/or is mentally challenged. This isn't a laughing matter but if you want a true RP experience this stuff should be integrated some way some how.

As for you, yourself. You are incredibly bad at your job and I see you getting demoted nevertheless sometime soon. Like the time I was running from the police. The tow truck guy broke FearRP. Caused me 2 minutes in which I could have my car and be running I call an admin, you show up. And what happens? The cops show up because I was stuck for 2 minutes OOC trying to get the guy to not break fearRP. What did you say? "Too bad, deal with it"
    --- Post updated ---
    Roleplaying - Putting yourself into the eyes of someone else. Acting as their role in life.
    If you were to roleplay as someone who is being threatened by a group of people and you head to where they are located to kill them so they can't hurt you or your family. You have no idea as to who is and isn't with them. So your best bet is to gun them all down (if that is your intent).
    --- Post updated ---
    Now, as for that. I'm stopping my posts on this site once more as it is pointless to argue with this community as everyone in and/or associated with it are all arrogant dickheads who have no idea as to what is roleplay. If you guys ever get someone to teach the staff how to do their job properly (a few exceptions such as Jack, Nikolai, Kinda Blue, and maybe Carter) then maybe this community will be less of a shitfest.

Now, good day gentle men. And to all a Happy Halloween

11. Canadian-bacon

Roleplay name:
    Hima Lowa
    You were screaming obsencies at all players involved while I was trying to warn the tow truck driver for his rule break while letting the RP situation continue rather than letting slide to a halt and waste everyone's time. Your immediate reaction is to flame and then leave the server before I could bring it into a sit since your flame continued is beyond what is and was reasonable.

This is not the place to discuss this.

"I am depressed. Let me kill countless people"

As much as I'd like to see realistic roleplay occur in gmod, in the end, it's a video game, with no real consequences, so people will always abuse or act to the extreme of a spectrum. Which is why we need rules like the ones we have, it is semi-serious after all. Not all aspects can be covered and to allow for gameplay to flow, with consequences, these rules need to exist.

If you did that on a full serious RP server, fine. But your character would be perma killed.

That means, new name, lose your inventory, lose your money, lose your cars. You would be a whole new person. Because that is realistic RP.