1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I can steal; why do I need other skills" suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Aunstic, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Aunstic

Aunstic New Member

Back story:
    Just got off the stranded server with Dynzon and 2 other people. The 2 other people were above 30 and they were doing good for some time, until they appended "10 year old rage mode" which is basically going around stealing what they can find without even trying to get a crowbar -- or any tools for that matter. Just going around trying to make me and Dyn mad which failed pretty hard since we were basically just increasing our survival without trying to build an actual base. Just going around trying to steal things and almost forcing our crowbars to give attention to them.

Alright, so in this matter, why not create another 2, maybe 3, functions for the server. Players reach level 30 survival and basically just hound resources and such off of people or they can just be nuisances and attempt to steal something so it creates a problem for a person and/or tribe. There's separate ideas here, but they could be combined as need be:
    • Consecutive deaths will decrement either survival or stealing skill. (Consecutive meaning the player doesn't attempt to gather resources, but aims for revenge with no weapons and/or tools)
      • Pros:
        • Player X doesn't bother Player Y with the possibility of diminishing level(s)
        • Player X will lose capability of stealing, thus rendering himself useless
        • Players A, B, C, D... will not have to keep a lookout and start rounds of bloody murder
      • Cons:
        • There could already be a person that is going on a rampage, making this suggestion useless
        • Possibility of complaints, if it's not added to hints, rules, etc
    • Stealing intervals. If Player X died Y times in Z attempts, then interval is set to reduce constant attempts. If attempts increase without anything to gain, iterate interval time.
      • Pros:
        • Less and less stealing after failed attempts will cause less of a havoc to the victim if the thief wants to continue on
        • "I'll steal this concrete house, taking 1440+ seconds, but just to annoy you. You'll kill me, I'll come back." -- this situation dies
      • Cons:
        • This possibly disallows revenge stealing from a thief
        • A definite death is needed to make this legitimate; death by hunger, thirst, fatigue, and oxygen during stealing are factors
        • Not a true solution, but a determined stealing level and/or survival level could be in place to exempt a player from this suggestion
    • "Influence" -- based around a tribe. Stealing times reduce if an area is defined as a "base" (sphere, => increase amplitude of a sine where A = distance from middle/origin, or tangent with bordering props into sphere)
      • No pros/cons. I needed another idea which this was ripped from the GMS I edited

2. Clawness

Clawness Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Robert Wolf
    why not make it you can only steal resources to begin with? like come on... stealing a wall?? (I know it can be used to raid, but still)
    Then make the time for stealing resources high as well, this way it will become a matter or people having to actually protect their resources... which would even make sense... The currently rules about stealing will have to stay in place/stricter to avoid abuse of stealing though.

Also... maybe a sign above/on you, saying you are stealing... I know it sounds lame but yea..

3. Aunstic

Aunstic New Member

While I do agree with you on stealing resources only -- you forgot that there is a res pack which is known to be useful, so you can't really do that. You could, however, add a limit to the resource pack which forces to have more than one, but that would become tiring after awhile if people are disorganized.

I'm indifferent about having stealing in the rules, but that's something to look at. Instead of a sign, you could always change it to the old fashion Mani Admin "beacon" (highly annoying and kills any stealth) or give the player a "tip" by telling him/her that something has been stolen. Creating awareness decreases stealth where stealth is useful for stealing.

It might just be me, but I think stealing is a catch 22. It can change though.

4. Clawness

Clawness Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Robert Wolf
    I meant it more in a way, you can steal resources from a resource pack as well, and they will go into your inventory (up to the amount you can carry), Leaving the package intact for the owner. Would be more realistic, stealing from a resource pack instead of stealing an entire resource pack containing more goods than you could normally carry..

5. Aunstic

Aunstic New Member

Like pickpocketing, right? That actually seems pretty fair. Also, I'm not sure if I should update the OP, but assembling on -)BDB(-, Gmod 12, used volume to determine the assembling time of a prop/structure. Assuming this is the same formula to determine stealing time and decreases a set amount of time per stealing level, actually. There could be a limit on what you can and cannot take by placing a volume limit -- or banning certain props from being stolen such as castles, walls, and houses; anything >400 of total resource input.

6. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis