1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide How to record videos in GMod even if your computer is slow.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ozymandias, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Retired Staff Member

Basically I'm making a guide on how to record videos in GMod and upload them to youtube for ban requests. This method allows you to record the video even if your computer is a potato and runs GMod at 15 FPS (or even less.) You do not need any extra programs unless you are going to edit the video.

1. Enable Console: To enable Developer Console, you'll want to go to the menu (ESC), press OPTIONS, then press Advanced. Then check "Enable Developer Console (~)". This allows you to open the Console with the ~ (` on some keyboards) key.
      Here is an image to go along with it.
    2. Record a demo: When in game, and you need to record something, type Record <DEMONAME> in console (here is an image of the console), replacing <DEMONAME> with a name of your choosing. The game will freeze for a second or two while it prepares the recording. Demos are not large files, they are simple files that record the inputs from you and the server. They do not take much excess processing power to run, so you can run demos 24/7 and not see an impact on performance. To stop a demo that is currently recording, simply use the console command stop.
    3. OPTIONAL STEP: An optional step would be to set up your demo recording. You can turn the FPS down something slower by using host_framerate 30 and you can remove the hud with cl_drawhud 0. Just remember to turn these back to normal when you are done.
    4. Play back the demo: You need to play back the demo. You can open the demo menu with SHIFT+F2 or type Playdemo <DEMONAME> in console. Here is an image of the demo menu. I suggest you open the demo menu so you have access to the controls. The controls are pretty much self explanatory, but for extra reading, read more on Valve's wiki.
    5. Record the demo: Now it's time to record. Once you have your demo in the position you want, and are ready to record, open the console again and type Startmovie <MOVIENAME> h264 and remember the H264 part is important, do not leave it out. Once you have that done, you can stop the recording by stopping the demo with STOPDEMO in console or by using the demo menu. Or alternatively you can stop the recording with just the STOPMOVIE command.
    6. OPTIONAL STEP: This is when you would edit the movie and upload it to youtube. If you want to edit the movie, it is located in your steamapps\<YourUsername>\Garrysmod\Garrysmod\ folder as <MOVIENAME>.mp4
      Now that your video is ready to go, now you can upload it to youtube.com and post a ban request, or anything else!
      In the future I will be adding good, but free, movie editing software to this page and how to use it.
    IMPORTANT NOTES:
    1. This does NOT record your voice in the video! Only sound YOU would have heard (including other people's voices) and all those sounds are added to the final video.
    2. The demo playback will be SLOW if your computer is slow. It takes all the time necessary to record the video at the FPS specified. Changing your graphics quality will have signifigant impact on the rendering time of the video. If you set your settings to max, it will take a while to render but it will look good.
    3. The resolution of the outputted recording depends on what your resolution is. 720p is 1280*720, for example.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions! I made this guide to help you, so ask away!

Simple: You can also use gm_video

• Useful x 13
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. SCORPEANrtd

SCORPEANrtd Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    I think I would actually have to do this, in order to understand it fully... But also in order to playback a demo you are recording... You would need to stop the demo from recording right?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ozymandias

If you have recorded a demo, you should not be in any game or server when you start the demo back up. You should be on the main menu.
    I added this: To stop a demo that is currently recording, simply use the console command stop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SCORPEANrtd

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Ok... Much better :3 Now I don't have to go from 14 FPS to 3, just to record something that you can't hear people talk in... Would have posted many more ban requests had I actually had sound for those videos.... And if it really comes to it... I could record with my internal mic and speakers, and just unplug the headset... But thanks :3

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. SCORPEANrtd

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    *sorry for double post*
    Is there a way for it to not have the big REC?
    Without getting rid of the hud?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ozymandias

Yea... it's a bit complicated though.
    Basically what someone would have to do is open garry'smod.gcf, find the rec texture, make an edit of it where it's blank and put it in their addons.
    I might do it later.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stiggy

Stiggy Retired Community Management Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    How about adding a part on using something like audacity to record your mic while recording the demo, then adding that sound over the top of the video?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ozymandias

I'm trying to find a good video editor that's free LEGALLY to make a video about how to video edit on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clawness

Clawness Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Robert Wolf
    well, if you dont have to go in-game. You can use CamStudio.. which is decent enough.
    And otherwise 30 second frap video parts (as that is the max on the free version :p)?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ozymandias

You don't understand the point of this... recording it in game means your computer doesn't have to be powerful enough to run both the game AND recording the screen, and your outputted videos will always look good and have perfect FPS. Wayyyy better than using FRAPS or any other video recorder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis

Except more effort. I'm fine with using FRAPS or Dxtory, as my computer can handle it and the quality is pretty much perfect imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Stiggy

Stiggy Retired Community Management Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    I'd rate this as dumb, but I don't want to die.

The thread is titled "How to record videos in GMod even if your computer is slow.", so it doesn't apply to those who have good enough PCs to handle recording with other programs and maintain a decent FPS ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    I know, was just contributing to the discussion that Ozy and Clawness were having. (Ie. Was off topic)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Milk

Milk Member

Little typo in 4: Startmove

Also, is this better in any way than gm_demo_to_video? With this method you can choose which parts to render, but that's the only thing, I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. SCORPEANrtd

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    D: Lucky... I get 4 FPS if I'm lucky, recording on Garry's mod, be it fraps, or bandicam...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ozymandias

As a Garry's Mod feature, this is prone to breaking, crashing, corrupting videos, breaking with Gmod updates, etc. and lots of times creates audio errors. The startmovie method is built-in with the Source engine and is something Garry can't modify (aka he can't fuck it up on accident or on purpose).
    The method I described also works in ALL source games (except Half Life: Source I believe...)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. NiCe

NiCe Member

tank you ozy i can finally record in peace :d

• Like Like x 1
  18. SCORPEANrtd

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    Well... I tried to use this... Took forever for the video to start playing.. And then my computer froze for about 10 minutes when it did... Used up 100% of my CPU usage... I might try later... But not now...
    And for some reason, for the few frames that did play (Over about 3 minutes) it said 3 FPS at the bottom right, IG it was more though...
    EDIT: God damnit... My cpu usage is still 75%-100% even though under processes it only shows that there should be <40%...
    And I had to close GMOD because it froze up like hell...

EDIT AGAIN:
    Any explanations???

And after restarting, GMOD still lags/freezes up more than usual... :/

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ozymandias

Well, like I said, it will take all the time necessary to render those frames. It may appear frozen but it is not. I would recommend setting host_framerate to 24. And also, it will use 100% CPU in the process if you've got a single core CPU.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SCORPEANrtd

Roleplay name:
    Tristis Katze
    But after I exited off of it, GMOD was freezing up, even after I restarted it. Until I restarted my computer...

• Like Like x 1