1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Free Video Recording Software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by K-9, Feb 1, 2016.

1. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    Introduction
    Open Broadcaster Software is a free and open-source software where you can stream and record video with it.

Platform
    Classic:
    WIndows 7+
    (Recommended Download) Studio: Windows 7+, OSX 10.8.5+, Linux.
    Check out the Q&A below this thread for more information.

In this guide I'm going to just guide you though everything about recording a video on Classic and Studio versions of Open Broadcaster Software.

Website - Download - Install - Open
    Head to this website: Open Broadcaster Software Website and select your operating system download button.

Save your download into your Downloads folder.

Install software.

After the install is finished double click on the icon on your desktop to open.

Setting Up Recording
    Click Settings...

On the left side of the settings here is a list of things we are going to set up recording.

Studio: Auto-Configuration Wizard (Beta)
    Classic: Encoding --- Studio: Output
    Classic: Broadcast Settings --- Studio: Output
    Classic & Studio: Video
    Classic: Audio
    Classic & Studio: Hotkeys
    Classic & Studio: Microphone Noise Gate

Studio: Auto-Configuation Wizard (Beta)
    After the Open Broadcaster Software Developers removed the Open Broadcaster Software Estimator, they instead made the Auto-Configuation Wizard (Beta) for easyer set ups.

To find this open up Open Broadcaster Software Studio version, Tools then Auto-Configuation Wizard (Beta), now you can configure you set up easily with this Tool.

What the tool does is configure your current Personal Computer spectifiation met with the software with streams and/or records.

I recommend my option if I was to set this up, Optimize just for recording, I will not be streaming, 1280x720 (Or your Standard Resolutions list), FPS: 30, Apply Settings.

After Apply Settings, it's still best to do my guide to optimize my way of configuring, but good option if you want to do this.

Standard Resolutions
    240p: 426x240
    360p: 640x360
    480p HQ: 854x480
    720p HD: 1280x720
    1080p HD: 1980x1080

Classic: Encoding --- Studio: Output
    Classic: Max Bitrate --- Studio: Bitrate: Head to this website: Speed Test click 'Settings' then to 'Global Settings' in 'Speed' click 'Kbps' click 'GO!', after the test is done then pops-up 'UPLOAD' type those numbers into this website: Open Broadcaster Software Estimator in the kbps box, then fill out the form of your specs and click on 'Recommend Settings' then it should tell you what Recommended max bitrate: (numbers), here is a list of quality video settings you can do. Go to Q&A for this reason is crossed out.

240p / Up to 500 kilobits
    360p / 600-800 kilobits
    480p HQ / 900-1200 kilobits
    720p HD / 1800-2500 kilobits
    1080p HD / 3000-3500 kilobits

Classic: Bitrate --- Studio: Audio Tab, Audio Bitrate: 64
    Classic: Format: 44.1kHz / Channel: Mono. --- Studio: Audio, Sample Rate: 64, Channels: Mono.
    Studio quick fix-up: Make sure to set defaults on Desktop Audio Device and Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device.

Classic: Broadcast Settings --- Studio: Output
    Classic: On File Path click on Browse... now make a folder somewhere on your computer to save your recordings make sure to change format to MP4 and type in text box Record and click save.
    Studio: On Recording Tab and click on Browse in Recording Path, then make a folder to select the location on where you like to save your recordings and click OK, then to name the record you have to go to Advanced and type in any name in Filename Formatting and type in text box Record.

Classic & Studio: Video
    Base Resolution: Custom (See Standard Resolutions list below.)
    FPS: 30
    Tick: Disable Aero

Standard Resolutions
    240p: 426x240
    360p: 640x360
    480p HQ: 854x480
    720p HD: 1280x720
    1080p HD: 1980x1080

Classic: Audio
    For Studio version check out: Classic: Encoding --- Studio: Output
    Tick: Force Microphone/Auxiliary to Mono
    Mic/Aux Boost (multiple): 2 (Only use this option if your microphone is quiet.) Studio: Scroll down abit til you see Classic & Studio: Microphone Noise Gate, it shows you the picture there on what to do.

Classic & Studio: Hotkeys
    You can set the same keys on Start Recording and Stop Recording.
    Tip: In Studio version, after you done something on the Sources area, will update hotkeys in the settings.

Classic & Studio: Microphone Noise Gate
    Classic: Click on Enable Preview to see your microphone being active, now do it like mine on this picture.
    Studio: On the Studio version it's a little different, if you are on the settings area click OK, and then do the picture below.

Picture.jpg
    Classic: Tick: Enable Noise Gate. Studio: Automaticly does it when you setup stuff on the picture above.

Classic: And thats it for the settings, click OK.

Setting Up Volume And Camera Of The Record In-Game
    Classic & A Bit Of Studio: Right click in the box called Sources, hover over Add and select Game Capture and click OK, select Use Hotkey when you are in game press that key that you've set, tick: Stretch image to screen and tick: Anti-cheat comatibility hooking, and click OK.
    Studio: Do all the settings above here but leave enabled Capture any fullscreen application, this is very useful because it loads the game and captures it automaticly, but keep in mind that it will also capture any full screen such as YouTube beening fullscreen, minimize, maximize and close will not effect this feature, only the full screen without bounderies.

Classic Mostly, On Studio If Turned Off Capture any fullscreen application Important: Make sure to load up the game fully then press the Start Recording key and press the Game Capture key to make the capture of the game, if you have a single monitor tab out of the game to see if the game is working if it is then you can head back into the game to play.

Tip: Classic: Test out your microphone and sound volume to find the best sound for both voice and in-game. (Mine: Microphone: 100% / Sound: 10%.)
    Studio: Click Edit on the top of Studio and then click on Advanced Audio Properties, now you can accurately set a volume. (Mine: Microphone: 100% / Sound: 10%.)

Optional Tip: Classic & Studio: Click Profiles and click Duplicate, click Settings... then click on Video and do the tutorial on Video, change the resolution for each quility for your video, after that delete Game Capture in Sources and make another again and do the tutorial again on Setting Up Volume And Camera Of The Record In-Game for the Game Capture, after that rename your current set-up in Profiles and do the same for the others, now you can click on Profiles and select your video quility before you start recording.

Manual
    If you like to learn and read more about this software here are the links for both Classic and Studio manuals.

Q&A
    Why recommend downloading the Studio than the Classic?
    Here are my reasons why, learning first with Studio just to make sure you might move over to other platfroms, feature wise Studio is better in every way that the Classic dosen't have, also the Open Broadcaster Software Developers are not updating Classic anymore, so therefore Studio is now being updated.

Is there any extra information I should know about?
    There are two things you can do, one is do the guide I've shown, two test out two things your video and sound then test out any video game you like to test on while recording, if there's something wrong, your gonna have to tweak/figure out the source of your problem.

What happen to the Open Broadcaster Software Estimator?
    They've removed that sperific website due to out of date, instead they added in Studio version 19.0.0 in Tools Auto-Configuration Wizard (Beta), meaning that it is easyer to set up for stream and/or recording.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy Retired Community Management Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    Stickied.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Apollo

Apollo Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Franky Wright
    This is great stuff K noine!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Coolrune206

Coolrune206 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Marshal Mallow
    I love the tutorial. I was never able to figure OBS out myself. I personally think Shadowplay (Also free) is better and easier to use but then again, it does require NVidia.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    There's 2 problems with this, first is the exclustiveness Nvidia makes, I believe that anyone with AMD, Nvidia or other devices should have a non-exclusiveness software such as Open Broadcaster Software, 2 you'll need a super computer to able to use this recording feature, people don't have super computers I think of people with mix of devices from laptops, basic computers up to super computers.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. aidcon

aidcon Retired Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Swan Ronson
    This is extremely helpful, thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Finally

Finally Well-Known Member

<snip>

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  8. Sonador

Sonador Active Member

OBS is pretty terrific, if a little clunky. I use it to do my SBS streams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Christ

Christ Past Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Damian Wright
    It is a bit clunky, but hell. It's free. Can't particularly complain about software I never paid for that actually works pretty damn well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    Same, I use this software to stream as well. xD

I pretty much know every single thing on how it works from the manual, and thought I make a share my knowladge with everyone here about recording. :)

Free and open-source software for the win! :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Khypher

Khypher Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Michael Septim
    Thanks K-Noice!
    EDIT: Ummm when i record i get the footage but no audio? Um help?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  12. Tyrese Johnson

Tyrese Johnson Active Member

WOAH MAYNE

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    The newer version (OBS Studio) is a lot more feature rich if you know what you're doing, has different encoding methods, color spaces and so on. Quite useful if you're into that sort of thing... plus it looks ALOT better.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  14. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    If your microphone icon and/or sound icon is greyed out, click on Settings... / Audio and make sure they are set to Default or if you have other devices, and then click ok.
    Picture2.jpg

Make sure to do this on picture below.
    Picture.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Weatherbrine

Weatherbrine Active Member

Roleplay name:
    Daryl Norton
    always laggy as shit for me

• Like Like x 1
  16. mmm lady

mmm lady Member

Dude thank you! I have been looking for one of these

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thorny

Thorny Member

Very helpful post, but maybe it should be updated as this recording software has changed quite a bit since 2016.

• Old Old x 1
  18. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    I've updated the guide since 13 Marth 2018 (look at thread bottom right), I looked into the website and software so far still the same they're just adding extra features is all.

• Like Like x 1
  19. KJM

KJM Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeffy Gutenburg
    kay noin !!!! DICK BUTT

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Loxxy

Loxxy Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Jay Newsman
    Dunno if you know this but shadowplay is actually the best program in terms of efficiency for processor and gpu usage. The frame drop you get from using shadowplay is less than OBS and and much less than most if not all other recording software. For actual professional streaming or videos it's too simple and buggy, and doesn't allow for as much interesting on-the-fly stuff as OBS does.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 1:04 AM
    • Informative Informative x 1