1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite computer designs from the past

Discussion in 'Hardware and Software' started by Lava_Master, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Lava_Master

Lava_Master Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Mike Rader
    Personally my favorite designed from the past were from the early 2000s, when apple came out with the first iMac. I also enjoy the iBook G3 Clamshell. Many people have two sides of this opinion, but the iBook is my favorite out of the two.
    iMac G3:
    [​IMG]
    iBook G3 Clamshell
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The keyboard was kind of translucent plastic, and there was a tab where you could lift the keyboard and see inside the computer! YES! Apple did make computers back in the day where you could customize it. The age where they couldn't change things in their computers seemed to really get put in after Steve Jobs. I think these designs were really nice and high quality. I would also like to include that the mouse included in the iMac G3 was called the puck mouse, and yes I have used that before. It isn't terribilly bad, and the keyboard had the same style. Can we please refrain from the phrase macs suck, this is based on what cool older or past computers you like

2. Jack Traid

Jack Traid Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Jack Traid
    [​IMG]
    IBM 5100 Two words: "Steins; Gate"

3. Lava_Master

Roleplay name:
    Mike Rader
    Cool design, couldn't find the used prices for that computer, must be rare. The computers I like can prob be found in the back of a school or in storage for one. My old school had tons of those iMacs sitting in this indoor hallway we had. (In California we basically have no indoor schools it's outdoor. At least for public schools

4. Brunnea

Brunnea Retired Staff Member

Roleplay name:
    Dumb Broad
    I have a lot, but one of the more, ah, 'weird' ones that I love happens to be this one....

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kai

Kai Community Manager Forum Moderator Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ash Fuchs
    I can't stand Apple Software, it infuriates me how backwards everything is with both their UX and UI design however that goes without saying that they have had some brilliant industrial designs with a large majority with some of their products, especially within the early 2000s.

Personally I've always prefered what I would call an "overly simplistic" design style for the majority of my time when it comes down to technology.
    If we're talking about a full on pre-built systems I have to say that the Power Mac G5 wins without a doubt.
    [​IMG]

If we're talking about design aesthetics in general when it comes down to Desktop Towers then my clear winner in that category just has to be the CaseLabs Magnum SMA8.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. K-9

K-9 Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Johnny Mayfair
    I've always perfered the classic keyboard layout. (UK Keyboard Version)
    [​IMG]
    It's when they start changing the layout such as the enter key shaping like the backspace and that drives me crazy, unless it's compact like a portable device though.
    For some reason, the curve keyboard I'm pretty good at, multimedia keys are useful too, but now I just buy cheapest keyboard I can find.

Mouses have to be 2 buttons and a wheel, never brought one of those mouses that have extra buttons, I don't buy those just in case I might press it at random times, so yeah, the classic 2 buttons and a wheel I use now with cheapest money.

7. Loxxy

Loxxy Retired Staff Member

I love Extra button mouses for comms, but I do agree with your keyboard layout preference.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lava_Master

Roleplay name:
    Mike Rader
    That CRT Though

9. P0PION

P0PION Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Jeff Lansky
    upload_2017-1-17_13-6-30.png Alienware 2013. not too long ago, but I like it.

10. Loxxy

Loxxy Retired Staff Member

[​IMG]
    TheLegend27ary FamiCom

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ben Rader

Ben Rader Premium Member

MacBook Air
    [​IMG]
    It is a good design from the past and present. Looks good and isn't as ugly as the new MacBook, think this looks much better and other than the Retina display the MacBook Air has much more power too.