1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downtown Remake

Discussion in 'Creation Corner' started by Kai, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Kai

Kai Retired Community Manager

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    Hey guys, some almost two years ago I had made a post on the forums stating that I was working on a new roleplay map (http://chronet.com/threads/secret-project.4035/ that was going to rely heavily on the layout of the first two versions of the rp_downtown map, the plan was to start from scratch and building it all from the ground up using quite a few maps as reference material and then piece the best of both versions of the downtown map and Frankenstein them into one unified layout. I failed my self after about a day or two and got as far as making a rough layout of the Police Department before giving up and shelving the damn thing. I completely underestimated my ability when it comes to planning ahead and building upon an idea with hardly any input or feedback.

I've recently made progress on the project in the my spare time, I decided that I would stick to the same core layout of the V2 Chronet version of downtown and rebuilding it from scratch, that way I can just grind it out and having to plan out buildings and so on. I'm eventually going to expand upon the map and change it from ever so familiar downtown layout to a completely new design. I have a pretty clear idea on how I'm going to work with the buildings and roads to make the overall style and feel of the map to feel somewhat fresh and clean looking rather than going with the standard ugly grimy and dirty look that is heavily associated with the original downtown.

Work in Progress Images
    Keep in mind that this is all very much in it's early stages.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you have any feedback or ideas please go ahead and leave them in this thread, I'm completely open to it all!

• Like Like x 7
  2. aidcon

aidcon Retired Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Swan Ronson
    Looks great so far. Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Medic

Medic Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Ryan Trend
    Wow, looks fantastic so far. With textures just on what you have right now would probably even look complete. Keep up the good work !

4. Drew03

Drew03 Member

It looks great but why cant we stick with rockford?

5. Kai

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    I never ever said that I was making this map for use on Chronet, I don't even have a say in what goes onto the server so... I'm really just doing it because I want to improve my self and actually release a version of downtown that isn't based upon any of the original map files, hence the remake and not an edit. Downtown is that map that we all love but hate at the same time, I want to get rid of the hate part which is generally associated with the horrible FPS and Etc.

@Sage Rasen
    [​IMG]
    MFW I see a dumb rating. C:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  6. Scary Clown

Scary Clown Active Member

Do you have a release date in mind?

7. Kai

Roleplay name:
    Ash Conway
    Not currently, I don't even want to think about setting any kind of official release date, It will put me under a really harsh time constraint and I'm not up for working like that, especially on a personal project, It results in me having to rush key parts and will leave me in a very sticky situation when it comes to fleshing the ideas I want to grow on. I also would rather not give people false expectations due to the fact that it may very well end up being scrapped.

The bottom line is, when you're independently working on a project of this kind of size you absolutely want to avoid setting your self up for failure by any means possible, now don't get me wrong here, working to a deadline is great for productivity, if you need to extend the deadline you can do so because that's a reasonable constraint you set for your self and not the public. Attempting talking about any kind of deadline will immediately trick your mind into working to undesirable standards which is just going to leave you burnt out and reluctant to continue.

I want to do this project the right way, no time constraints, I'll more than likely work on it in iterations rather than constantly gruelling over it, I'll probably even end up having a decent build ready to go in the same amount of time even if I were to work on it non-stop. I can be a very productive when it suits my best interests, I've managed to block out the entirety of the project so far and I want to keep my self going on the same pace.
    I'm probably not going to mention any kind of release date until the very late stages of the project

TL;DR

8. Scary Clown

Well with that out of that way, instead of the canal system which you've told me you plan on removeing. You could use this extra underground room to create a more extensive sewer system.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Perm Banned
    Where can @Chance trap people now?

10. Chance

Chance Community Manager Forum Moderator Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    CHANCE ANDSHITTY
    Doors :whistling:

11. Scary Clown

Wherever theres a map, chance will find a way.