1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chronet Roleplay: Goodbye DarkRP

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Simple, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Simple

Simple Founder Forum Moderator

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Edit: Just to clarify (since some people seem to be confused), the server isn't being removed or anything. There are just going to be some major code changes, which in essence is DarkRP being removed.

It's been a long time coming, but Chronet Roleplay will soon be DarkRP-less. This means that the DarkRP gamemode that Chronet is built upon, is going to be completely removed, and replaced with a custom gamemode base.

Before I continue, just a little tribute to DarkRP.
    DarkRP has without a doubt shaped the way the Garry's Mod Roleplay scene is today. Since True-RP in 2009, DarkRP has always been a fundamental part of our roleplay gamemode. It's hard to say, but without DarkRP, there is a chance that Chronet wouldn't be here today. Modifying DarkRP is why I started coding Lua originally back in late 2008 (back when "Custom" in the server title actually meant the server was custom). Before True-RP even started, I first worked on a DarkRP server where I added jobs and shipments. Back then, adding just these 2 things made your server a top competitor for the best RP server out there. DarkRP provided, and still provides, a good platform for beginners and skilled coders a like to build upon. To finish off this little DarkRP tribute, just a thanks to FPtjie (The current DarkRP developer) and the past developers on their work.

The time has now come though to say goodbye to DarkRP. At the current stage, our RP gamemode only utilizes DarkRP for a limited amount of functions (Eg. Networking, jobs, money, chat, and a few other things. And then FAdmin for admin things, and FPP for prop protection). All in all, I would say around 15% of DarkRP is used on the server. A lot of the remaining 85% is disabled modules, but a big chunk of that is also huge overhead on the server with lots and lots of unused and unnecessary code. Removing this will hugely increase server performance and also create a far easier platform to build upon. It's with this mind that I've decided to venture out of the dark and remove DarkRP. It all honestly, it should have been done a long time ago.

To further add to this change, a few other core gamemode systems are going to be fundamentally changed (mainly the structure of the database). This means that when this update is released, the wipe will happen. The jobs system will also be changing with this update, but more on that later.

As for when this update is going to be released...soon. You've probably noticed the server hasn't received an update the past 2 weeks. As you can guess, this is because I've been working on the above. I'm going to use the classic "when it's done" for the timeframe of release, since I'm not sure how long it's going to take. But expect a few weeks minimum.

- Simple

PS. One month to go till our 2 year anniversary!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Sikes

Sikes Well-Known Member

This title probably scared half the community shitless lol

good job simp

3. Stiggy

Stiggy Retired Community Management Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    What the fuck? It feels like the last anniversary was only a short while ago...

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Retired Staff Member

Maybe because you haven't actually played on the server... just a thought.

5. Veno

Veno Well-Known Member

6. Stiggy

Stiggy Retired Community Management Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Sam Driscoll
    Well, I have actually. Not very much, no, but that's because I've just moved to university, so I've had lots of other things going on - but even then, how much I've played on the server does not affect my perception of time passing.

7. Morgan Hunt

Morgan Hunt Active Member

Very excited for this change! Will be a big step forward for the community. Thanks for the information Simple!

8. Markoozy

Markoozy Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Marko Milosevic
    Awesome! I can't really relate to many of the changes from the earliest Chronet RP to now because I've only been around for about a year, but I am very excited for these changes! More serious RP is my jam.

9. Zaptto

Zaptto Well-Known Member

Roleplay name:
    Riley Graves
    still dont get why people think that semi serious means a hl2rp level of seriousness but whatever

10. Blue Link

Blue Link Member

Roleplay name:
    Aaron Nix
    comment that will make people think i am going to join the server soon:eek:
    I haven't played the server in so long I see people I don't know that are applying for adman :cool: <2kool4u
    i thank i wil plai suun :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rucka

Rucka New Member

Lel, haven't even been on the server for an actual day and then WIPE.

12. CombineStalker

CombineStalker Active Member

Wohoo! Hopefully, the age of every mingle being to get thier hands on 50,000 ak47 shipments within 5 hours of joining the server will be over!

13. One Million Ducks

One Million Ducks Retired Staff Member

But more importantly, the Halloween event... ;)
    [​IMG]

Out of all seriousness, it is crazy for me, having been here for a year and a half, seeing the amount of changes that have aspired. I cannot wait for more.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. Undead Bill

Undead Bill Premium Member

Roleplay name:
    Toshiro Akatora
    Can you add a hat shop simple?

15. Simple

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Status Update

Progress is going relatively well. Most core systems are in and working.
    Still moving some functions over. Cleaning up the code is an on going task.
    Want to get the update out ASAP though. Meaning I'm having second thoughts on doing the wipe at the same time as this update. The job system also might stay (depending on how long everything takes and when the next GMod update is out - it has functions in it which allow for cool clothing customisations, which is needed for the new job system).

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rambo

Rambo Member

Roleplay name:
    Samson Shelby
    i'm eager to see what the server will be like without any DarkRP functions.

17. coolfire3456

coolfire3456 New Member

I am soo thrilled! Of course I will miss DarkRP, but our own custom game mode? Good we need this and it's been coming for a while guys! Just be ready and hope for the best, I sure will! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. TTJake

TTJake Active Member

So. We get our own gamemode. Now everyone is gonna copy it, and we will just be a regular. Meh, we are too damn unique.

19. Simple

Roleplay name:
    Michael Elpmis
    Test server for 'standalone' (DarkRP-less) gamemode will be launched tonight.

20. Markoozy

Markoozy Server Admin

Roleplay name:
    Marko Milosevic
    Any particular time? I want to see if I can divert time to play a little.